book series and its related adaptations and spinoffs.
Brad Johnson (Left Behind: The Movie, Left Behind II: Tribulation Force, Left Behind: World At War)
Nicholas Cage (Left Behind 2014)
An airliner pilot who lost his wife and son to the Rapture. Becomes one of the founding members of the Tribulation Force.
- Author Avatar, with a dash of compensating for something: The guy's surname is Steele, for crying out loud. Fred Clark specifically identifies him as the avatar for LaHaye.
- Badass Grandpa: Eventually becomes this when Kenny is born.
- Final Guy: Rayford survives the tribulation by the skin of his teeth.
- Happily Married: To his second wife Amanda White for about three months.
- Insistent Terminology: 'Captain'' Rayford Steele. Always Captain Steele. While the character doesn't explicitly insist on it, the author is very careful to write his name this way when being addressed by others.
- Jerkass: Comes off as one quite a bit. He does get some humanizing touches throughout the series, and he even gets blatantly called out on his asshole tendencies in one book to counterbalance this.
- Madonna–Whore Complex: Appears to have this, although the story doesn't seem to consider this a flaw
- Manly Tears: Sheds these when he meets Jesus face to face.
- Never Got to Say Goodbye: To his wife Irene and his son Raymie after they have been raptured.
- Overprotective Dad: Subverted in that he just lets Buck come over and wait to talk to Chloe about his supposedly two-timing her and doesn't help Chloe in the slightest in her wanting to get rid of Buck.
- The Scapegoat: Was made into this when Carpathia was assassinated, when clear evidence showed that Chaim Rosenzweig was the real assassin.
Janaya Stephens (Left Behind: The Movie, Left Behind II: Tribulation Force, Left Behind: World At War)
Cassi Thomson (Left Behind 2014)
The daughter of Rayford Steele who gets left behind, becoming a founding member of the Tribulation Force and the wife of Buck Williams.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Blond-haired in the books and the 2014 movie, became dark-haired in the 2000-2005 films.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: After Chloe is captured by the GC, among the things the GCNN report is that she was expelled from her university for making threats against the faculty, aborted two fetuses (with another daughter dying under unknown circumstances), and naming her son Jesus Savior Williams.
- The Chick
- Driven to Suicide: In the 2014 movie, until she gets a call from Buck that stops her from going through with the act.
- Happily Married: To Buck Williams.
- Incessant Music Madness: Was subject to listening to "Hail Carpathia" all night in her cell when she was captured by the GC. She gets to give some of her own when she sings some Christian hymns in her solitary confinement cell, which annoys a GC guard.
- Mama Bear: To her son Kenny.
- Public Execution: Was given one in Armageddon.
- Straw Feminist: She was this early in the book series, before she changes.
- Together in Death: With her husband Buck.
Cameron "Buck" Williams
Kirk Cameron (Left Behind: The Movie, Left Behind II: Tribulation Force, Left Behind: World At War)
Chad Michael Murray (Left Behind 2014)
A newsmagazine reporter who witnessed the Rapture on the same flight Rayford was the pilot of. Becomes one of the founding members of the Tribulation Force.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Blond in the books, became brown or dark-haired in the films.
- Author Avatar: For Jerry Jenkins.
- Happily Married: To Chloe Williams.
- Informed Ability: His writing skills, at least early on. Later, we do get to see some of his actual writing in universe, and it is somewhat mediocre.
- Intrepid Reporter: Something of an Informed Attribute - he rarely asks useful questions, he writes in Purple Prose, and he buries stories out of self-preservation.
- My Girl Is Not a Slut: One of Chloe's most frequently mentioned attributes is her virginity; both she and Buck are virgins when they begin dating, and remain as such until they are married.
- Not What It Looks Like: Chloe accused Buck of two-timing her because of her encounter with a fellow female co-worker outside his apartment delivering stuff and talking to her fiancee on the phone, assuming that Buck was her fiancee. Fortunately this got straightened out.
- Official Couple: He and Chloe were meant to be this from Day One.
- Papa Wolf: To his son Kenny.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Carpathia sees through his "George Oreskovitch" routine. Twice.
- Purple Prose: Yet he's a journalist
- Roaring Rampage of Rescue: Was ready to go on this in Armageddon when the Global Community captured his wife.
- Screw the Money, I Have Rules!: Feebly attempts this with Nicolae Carpathia when he is offered a job in Nicolae's inner-circle.
- Screw Your Ultimatum!: Does this to Carpathia in Armageddon.
- The Villain Sucks Song: Crafts one called "Fail Carpathia".
- Together in Death: With his wife Chloe.
- Voice of the Resistance: Second to Tsion Ben-Judah's, his online publication The Truth disseminates the information that the Global Community-controlled press doesn't want the general public to know about Nicolae Carpathia.
Clarence Gilyard (Left Behind: The Movie, Left Behind II: Tribulation Force)
Arnold Pinnock (Left Behind: World At War)
Lance E. Nichols (Left Behind 2014)
A pastor who was left behind due to his unbelief in God. Becomes one of the founding members of the Tribulation Force.
- Hypocrite: For a pastor, he was dabbling more in his own lusts and interests than he was in pursuing his own faith. At least he was willing to admit that was what caused him to be left behind with the unbelievers.
- Good Shepherd: He's not this trope and it's the reason he was left behind.
- The Mentor: To Rayford, Chloe, Buck, and the Young Tribulation Force in Left Behind: The Kids.
- Race Lift: Was Caucasian in the books, made African-American in the films.
- Sacrificial Lamb: In Tribulation Force he becomes the first member of the Tribulation Force to die.
Lubomir Mykytiuk (Left Behind II: Tribulation Force)
A rabbi who during the Tribulation found the proof that Jesus Christ was the prophesied Messiah of the Jews. Becomes a member of the Tribulation Force.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Earned the ire of his fellow Israelis by declaring that Jesus is the Messiah, wanted in the murders of his wife and stepchildren, and accused of "fleecing his flock" millions of Nicks.
- Badass Israeli
- Badass Preacher: In Armageddon, when he turns over leadership of Petra to Chaim Rosenzweig so he can preach Jesus Christ to the Jews remaining in Jerusalem while helping them to defend their city against the Global Community Unity Army on the day of Jesus' second coming.
- The Mentor: After Bruce Barnes is killed during the Second Seal Judgment.
- Screw Your Ultimatum!: Does this to Carpathia in Armageddon.
- Together in Death: With his wife who was murdered in Nicolae.
- Voice of the Resistance: During the Tribulation, his name became synonymous with the Tribulation Force preaching true biblical Christianity that Christians were pejoratively called "Judah-ites".
Colin Fox (Left Behind: The Movie)
The scientist who came up with the Miracle Gro that got bartered for a seven-year peace treaty
. Becomes a member of the Tribulation Force.
Rayford's co-pilot when he was working for Carpathia. Later became Carpathia's main pilot until faked his own death
to escape into the underground with the Tribulation Force.
- The Smart Guy: At least until he gets killed by the Wrath of the Lamb earthquake.
A former Middle East arms dealer who became a believer.
Mac's co-pilot when he was working for Carpathia, who later faked his own death
to escape into the underground with the Tribulation Force.
- Badass Bookworm
- Broken Bird: He starts off as a Muslim, but when his wife Yasmine and their two children, Bahira and Zaki become Christians, they leave him following one argument too many. This drives Abdullah into a state of depression, where he loses himself in booze and women, eventhough he wants his family back.
- Deadpan Snarker: Mostly to McCullum in the form of one liners.
- Faking the Dead: Does this to escape from New Babylon.
- The Pilot
- The Quiet One: Regarded as such by his employment records for the GC.
A charter pilot who was working for the Tribulation Force.
A former nurse working at Brigham Young Hospital, who becomes a member of the Tribulation Force.
- Broken Bird: Prior to becoming the head nurse at Brigham Young Hospital, Leah Rose had quite the checkered past. From a broken household to a teenage drug addict who slept around, aborted a pregnancy and nearly killed herself several times before she finally cleaned herself up, got her GED and after getting married, her husband put her through nursing school and the pair adopted two boys. After their children were taken in the Rapture, she and her husband tried to kill themselves. Her husband succeeded. She didn't. In the end, she became a believer.
- The Medic
The tech guy in New Babylon working as a mole for the Tribulation Force.
Gustaf Zuckermandel, Jr.
A medic in New Babylon who was a believer.
A former prison guard at Buffer in Belgium who is part of the Tribulation Force.
- Faux Action Girl: When she is introduced, a lot is made of her experience as a prison guard with combat skills — but from then on, she pretty much divides her time between office work and babysitting.
- Happily Married: To her second husband Ree Woo.
The tech guy in New Babylon working as a mole for the Tribulation Force, who is Ming Toy's brother.
- Driven to Suicide: He contemplates suicide when he sees that he has been forced to bear the Mark of the Beast despite being a believer, but David Hassid talks him out of it.
- Heel Face Door Slam: Averted in his case concerning the Mark of the Beast, as it was forced upon him after his becoming a believer while he was drugged by his parents.
- Reverse Mole: Working as a techie for Carpathia while secretly informing the Tribulation Force of any Global Community activities.
- Teen Genius
The tech girl in Petra.
The father of Naomi Tiberias.
- Overprotective Dad: Mostly to the extent of his own culture, though he does allow Naomi to go with Rayford and Abdullah to get Chang out of New Babylon during the plague of darkness.
A member of the Tribulation Force who works as a pilot for the International Commodity Co-op, along with his wife Trudy.
Chelsea Noble (Left Behind: The Movie, Left Behind II: Tribulation Force, Left Behind: World At War)
Nicky Whelan (Left Behind 2014)
The flight attendant who worked alongside Rayford Steele as his intended love interest. She later became Nicolae Carpathia's personal assistant and then departed from him to go underground, eventually becoming a believer.
The former editor-in-chief of Global Weekly, who became a believer under the alias of Pinkerton Stephens and an undercover mole.
- Body Horror: He wears an artificial face to hide how disfigured his actual face looks.
- No One Could Survive That: Though horribly disfigured, he managed to survive the Wrath of the Lamb earthquake.
- Put on a Bus: In Tribulation Force, when he was hardly heard from since World War III.
- The Bus Came Back: Returned in The Mark, though as his new identity Pinkerton Stephens.
- Reports of My Death Were Greatly Exaggerated: He was thought to have been killed during the Wrath of the Lamb Earthquake, but is pretty much alive...yet horribly disfigured, and going by the name Pinkerton Stephens.
Gordon Currie (Left Behind: The Movie, Left Behind II: Tribulation Force, Left Behind: World At War)
Becomes the Supreme Potentate of the Global Community. The Antichrist of the series.
- Affably Evil -> Faux Affably Evil After being indwelt.
- The Antichrist
- Berserk Button: Don't you dare call Nicolae "impotent"!
- Big Bad
- Big "Shut Up!": Attempted and failed with Jesus Christ speaking The Word Of God in the Dramatic Audio version of Glorious Appearing.
- Blondes Are Evil: In the films, though, he is dark-haired.
- Broken Pedestal: Increasingly becomes this to the world when they slowly begin to see through his original noble character facade just how evil he really is.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: Dismisses Hattie's death as 'cooked a harmless woman with a big mouth.'
- Came Back Wrong: Carpathia's resurrection involves him being possessed by Satan himself.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Prior to becoming the President of Romania, anyone who stood in his way were killed or bribed into submission.
- Dead Guy on Display: Was this during his wake right before his publicly-seen "resurrection".
- Deadpan Snarker: Post-indwelling.
- Defiant to the End: Nicolae is this to Jesus...until Satan is cast out of him.
- Designer Babies: Was said to be one in the prequel series, though Jesus said in Glorious Appearing that all his gifts came from God, not from science.
- Devil in Plain Sight: You'd have to be a hard-core Nicolae Carpathia fan to not see it, or not even care to see it.
- Drunk with Power: Nicolae becomes this post-indwelling, until Satan comes out temporarily to remind him that he is just a shell when Nicolae gets too big for his britches.
- Dull Surprise: His treatment of Viv Ivins' death in the Dramatic Audio version of Glorious Appearing.
- Embarrassing Middle Name: Jetty
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: Clearly not the case with him, as he and Viv Ivins engineered Marilena Carpathia's death when he was old enough to not need his mother anymore.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: He treats his mentor Viv Ivins like a beloved aunt, but post-indwelling, when Ivins sits on his throne, she is put in the doghouse until a year before the Glorious Appearing, when Nicolae forgives her. In the Dramatic Audio, though, Ivins gets crushed by a hailstone during the seventh Bowl Judgment, and he just casually shrugs off her death.
- Evil All Along
- Evil Is Hammy
- Evil Overlord
- From Nobody to Nightmare
- God in Human Form: Claims to be this, but is really indwelt by Satan.
- Has Two Daddies: Through the nature of genetic engineering, two gay men had their altered sperm impregnated into Nicolae's mother. They were both killed off when Nicolae no longer needed them.
- How the Mighty Have Fallen: Near the end of Glorious Appearing, he ends up having to kneel before Jesus Christ and confess that He is Lord.
- If You Die, I Call Your Stuff: After executing both Todd-Cothran and Stonagal, Nicolae is the sole inheritor of both their estates. When the children of both men dispute the claim, Nicolae simply pays them off under the condition that they do not contest the will.
- The Insomniac: Before being indwelt by Satan, people comment that Nicolae never seems to sleep as he is often too busy. After he is indwelt he never has to sleep at all and remains awake for 3 and 1/2 years.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Leon, who is twenty years his senior.
- Large Ham: His moment of resurrecting Leon Fortunato from the dead in the Dramatic Audio gets pretty hammy.
- Last Villain Stand: Attempted and failed.
- Perpetual-Motion Monster: One of the perks of being possessed by Satan is that Nicolae no longer needs to sleep, drink or eat; the evil power of Satan providing all of his needs. When Satan leaves his body, all of this is immediately canceled and Nicolae becomes a shriveled, emaciated barely-living cadaver.
- Power Glows: When New Babylon is plunged into darkness, Nicolae emits a small aura of light so that his inner circle can find their way out.
- Reluctant Ruler: Since Fortunato taught him out to feign humility, Carpathia offers token resistance to the role of Secretary-General of the U.N. Only when he accepts do things go downhill.
- Too Dumb to Live: He fulfills Scriptural prophecy about himself to a T without any deviation, thinking that he's going to succeed against God and Jesus Christ despite growing evidence that it isn't.
- Utopia Justifies the Means
- Villain Song: Gets one in the form of his own national anthem "Hail Carpathia".
- Villain with Good Publicity: It starts to seriously degrade from Book Ten onwards.
- You Have No Idea Who You're Dealing With: Post-indwelling, Carpathia promises that things for those who call him Antichrist will get much worse.
Originally the Supreme Commander of the Global Community, later became the High Reverend Father of Carpathianism. The False Prophet of the series.
The leader of Enigma Babylon One World Faith during the Tribulation.
- The Dark Chick
- Evil Mentor: To Marilena Carpathia
- Left Hanging: Her fate in the books, though implied through the events of Glorious Appearing that she doesn't live to enter into the Millennium.
- Meaningful Name: Her name consists of the Roman number VI repeated three times, hence 666.
- Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies: Her fate in the Dramatic Audio presentation, as she is killed by a giant hailstone.
The Security and Intelligence Chief of the Global Community.
- The Brute: The longest-surviving one in Carpathia's cabinet.
- Despair Event Horizon: His getting Ramon Santiago killed when he spilled the beans about something overheard from Nicolae's offices led to his suicide.
- Calling Your Attacks: Becomes a victim of an Ironic Echo from Nicolae Carpathia in the Dramatic Audio when he fails in getting Tsion Ben-Judah off the air with his messages.
A mole working for the Global Community posing as Georgiana Stavros
The mother of Nicolae Carpathia who appears only in the prequel stories.
- An Offer You Can't Refuse: In the prequel novel The Rising, Marilena Carpathia wishes to become a mother. Enter Viviana Ivansova (Viv Ivins), who makes the following proposal to her: join our group and swear loyalty to her lord, and she will have the baby she so desperately desire. Marilena should have read the fine print about what her son will become in the future.
- Deal with the Devil: See above.
- Heel-Faith Turn: Attempts this when she was poisoned and near death. Whether she was saved or not is up for debate.
Chrisite MacFayden (Left Behind: The Movie, Left Behind II: Tribulation Force)
Lea Thompson (Left Behind 2014)
The wife of Rayford Steele
- Crisis of Faith: Irene Steele experiences this before switching to New Hope Baptist Church.
- I Warned You: Turns out that she and her church were right all along about the Rapture.
Was Lucinda Washington's replacement as the editor-in-chief of the Chicago Global Weekly office.
Krista Bridges (Left Behind: The Movie, Left Behind II: Tribulation Force)
Buck Williams' assistant in the 2000-2005 Cloud Ten Pictures film series.
- Captain Ersatz: Of Alice Nelson from the Left Behind books, both of whom were mistaken for Buck Williams' fiancee by Chloe.
Louis Gosset, Jr. (Left Behind: World At War)
The President Of The United States at the time that the Tribulation started.
- Bald Black Leader Guy: In the 2000-2005 films, as played by Louis Gosset, Jr.
- No One Could Survive That: Survives a plunge from a high-rise office in Left Behind: World At War.
- Race Lift: Caucasian in the books, became African-American in the films.
- Taking You with Me: Near the end of Left Behind: World At War, President Gerald Fitzhugh attempts to take down Nicolae Carpathia by having a missile being fired directly toward him while he was meeting Carpathia in his office. Unfortunately, Carpathia survives.
- Dying Curse: According to T.M. Delanty, upon finding out that his brother Samuel was killed while escorting Hattie Durham, Bo Hansen got wasted in a bar, pulled out a gun, cursed Nicolae, God and the world, and killed himself.
- If You Die, I Call Your Stuff: Attempts to get his hands on the wealth Ken Ritz had stashed at Palwaukee Airport when the plague of locust demons strikes.
The leader of The Place
- Put on a Bus: In The Remnant, when he and all the members of The Place fled Chicago before it was nuked.