Randy "Ryo" MacLean
The first protagonist of the story. A new detective at the 27th precinct that is made Dee's partner at the beginning of the story. He's Japanese-American who was driven to become a police officer by the murder of his parents. He has a very kind and soft spoken outward demeanor but on the inside has many conflicts about his own identity as a man. He often scolds Dee for his advances but deeply cares for his partner and has taken in the orphaned Bikky. He also looks out for Bikky's friend Carol whenever she is in need.
- Beautiful Dreamer
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Bishōnen: Dee says he's beautiful and Diana calls him a pretty boy.
- Big Damn Hero: Once for Dee and for another would be victim.
- Bi the Way/But Not Too Bi: He had a budding romance with a girl as a teenager and at the beginning of the manga he identifies himself as straight, but by the end of the manga he calls himself a gay man. The truth is some form of either these tropes or a case of If It's You, It's Okay for Dee.
- But Not Too Foreign: Half-American, half-Japanese
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: It's repeatedly mentioned how out of it he can be.
- Cowboy Cop: He has his moments.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Deadpan Snarker: Has his moments.
- Fair Cop
- Friend to All Children
- Gayngst: Has plenty ongoing issues with this.
- Get A Hold Of Yourself Man: To Dee who was in a Heroic BSOD after the orphanage had been bombed.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?: First claims he's straight when Dee makes advances, a tactic that he drops very early on.
- Implausible Deniability: Likes to adamantly deny he's not jealous when someone else kisses Dee even if it's obvious.
- The Ingenue: Yes, Ryo is a rare male version. In the English version, other characters even jokingly call him 'Sandra Dee', an actress known for playing ingenues.
- Luminescent Blush: Very often thanks to Dee.
- Master of the Mixed Message: For someone who scolds Dee for his advances and wants to be left alone, he sure lets Dee kiss him a lot and gets jealous when others kiss Dee. Not to mention the times he voluntarily kisses Dee.....
- Mr. Fanservice: Cute, kindhearted moe guy who ends up bare chested several times courtesy of Dee.
- Mukokuseki: He doesn't look Japanese yet people can tell by looking at his eyes.
- Newspaper Thin Disguise: Of course it fails when Alicia spots him.
- Nice Guy
- Parental Abandonment: They were murdered when he was 18.
- Post-Kiss Catatonia: After his third kiss with Dee (if you count the Fake-Out Make-Out). Snaps out of it when Dee says Carol's gone missing.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The sensitive one with Dee.
- Sex for Solace: Propositions Dee for this but gets slapped instead.
- Sherlock Scan: Naturally since he's a talented detective.
- Shower of Angst: Act 14.
- Spell My Name with an "S": MacLean/McLean/Maclane/Mclane.
- Spit Take: Ryo gets a couple good ones on two separate occasions when he's asked if he and Dee are lovers.
- Straight Man: To Dee's wise guy antics.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Team Mom: Even Bikky considers Ryo as sort of his mom.
- Transparent Closet: At first, everyone seemed to think he was into Dee but him.
- Tsundere: Type B. He's the sweetest and kindest dude off-work, but when he gets pissed...
: ... Dear God, but you can be one catty bitch
- Uptight Loves Wild: Ryo for Dee which he won't admit.
The second protagonist of the story. A detective of the 27th precinct and later the 52nd, he is head over heels in love with his partner Ryo. Often pounces Ryo but has principles and will always look out for Ryo. He is easily amused, well liked but often thought of as obnoxious by the others. He was raised in an orphanage and still sends gifts to the children despite claiming he hates children. He's there for Bikky and Carol whenever they need help even if Bikky isn't particularly fond of him.
- Above the Influence: Will not actually take advantage of Ryo.
- Accidental Pervert: Along with Bikky, accidentally walks in on Carol nude in the bathroom.
- Armor-Piercing Slap/Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: To Ryo.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: In the final chapter of the first series. Ryo finally reciprocates.
- Badass: He grew up not to be a half-assed cop like he promised. Still lazy with paperwork though.
- Beautiful Dreamer
- Berserk Button: Go ahead and threaten Ryo and children around Dee. See what happens.
- Bishōnen: According to himself, he's not just pretty but uber hot when Drake calls him a pretty boy.
- Big Damn Hero: A couple of times but mainly for Ryo in England.
- Bi the Way
- Butt Monkey
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Which Ryo should beware....
- Chivalrous Pervert: As said above, he can be very pushy in his Ryo chase, but when Ryo is incapacitated or comes on him when drunk, he won't take the bait. Not to mention he's damn loyal to his friends/coworkers.
- Click Hello: To Leo Grant.
- Cowboy Cop: The poster boy of this trope in the 27th precinct.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Deadpan Snarker: Especially with dealing with the chief and JJ.
- Determinator: Is utterly determined to make Ryo fall for him.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Patiently waited for Ryo to sort his feelings out for two years.
- Dude Hes Like In A Coma: When Dee kisses Ryo while he's alseep.
- Dynamic Entry: Dee gets a few good ones.
- Fair Cop
- Friend to All Children: Despite claiming to hate them.
- Green Eyes: Feisty, energetic and sexy!
- Heroic BSOD: After his "Mother" got hurt when the orphanage he grew up in had been bombed.
- Hero Stole My Bike: Steals a motorcycle in England to save Ryo.
- Imagine Spot: Dee has few. Usually when fantasizing about Ryo.
- Insistent Terminology: Dee always clarifies for everyone to know that he is not gay but actually bisexual.
- Lovable Sex Maniac
- Mr. Fanservice
- Orphanage of Love: Was raised in one and still visits.
- Parental Abandonment: Was literally abandoned by his unknown parent(s) when he was a very small child.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Much comic relief comes from Dee failing to ensnare Ryo.
- Revolvers Are Just Better: Was banned from using automatic firearms for a time but did just fine with a revolver. Eventually asks for permission to carry an automatic again and he's granted to carry one.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The manly man with Ryo.
- Smoking Is Cool: Has been smoking since he was at least 15.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Dee explains Laytner is a made up name based on Latener but in Fake II, Dee's business card spells his name as 'Latener'.
- Tall, Dark, Snarky and Handsome
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Bikky.
A half caucasian, half African-American orphan that Dee and Ryo meet as a witness during a case. He immediately is hostile towards Dee but takes a liking to Ryo who bonds with him. He's taken in by Ryo and very protective of Ryo. Bikky decides it's his job to protect Ryo from the perverted Dee to Dee's chagrin.
A girl who seemed to live the life of a street urchin until she became a witness to a crime. She pick pocketed Ryo and was caught by Dee. Afterwards she came to rely on Ryo (and to a lesser extent Dee) for help. She is very close to Bikky and she often visits him at Ryo's home.
The Commissioner of the 27th precinct that transferred into that job after taking an interest in Ryo when he met him and Dee during their vacation in England. He is very mature, confident and serious with a piercing gaze. Dee dislikes him and views him as a serious threat over Ryo's affections.
A special agent for the FBI that teams up with the detectives of the 27th precinct during a case. She tends to dress provocatively and is a very confident strong woman that can handle herself well. She becomes close friends with Ryo and he confides in her. She openly flirts with Ryo to tease Dee and Berkley. Dee likes to refer to her as a "sea hag".
Jemmy Jay "J.J." Adams
An old friend of Dee that graduated with him at the police academy. He loves and worships Dee.. to the annoyance of Dee. He's cheerful and eccentric but also the precinct's best shot.
One of the detectives at the 27th that has known Dee for many years. He is JJ's partner. He is often seen hanging out with Ted and is Dee's drinking buddy outside of work.
Voiced by: Kenichi Ono
(Japanese); Bob Bobson (English)
Is also a detective at the 27th. He is often doing all the computer related work on cases. He has known Dee for many years and is one of drinking buddies outside of work.
Chief Warren Smith
The beleaguered police chief of the 27th precinct. He is seen as a father figure by many of the officers but constantly yelling at Dee for his shenanigans. Thanks to Dee, many of the officers call him nicknames like 'Old Badger' (Old Tanuki) and 'Walrus'.
Rikka "Kai" Kaito
The new chief of the 52nd precinct. He's very serious and appears to have a mysterious past driving his police work.