We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Characters: Drowtales Val Beldrobbaen
Return to the main character index here
. A * next to a character's name indicates that they are a reader-sponsored cameo.
Beldrobbaen Clan Symbol
open/close all folders
The Clan as a Whole
One of the Nine Great Clans (and the fourth to come to power after the Sharen, Sullisin'rune and Illhar'dro), the Beldrobbaen have a very traditional view, unfortunately, this is part of what's killing them, as their refusal to adopt new members or mate with anyone who is not of Val status (combined with the loss of an entire generation of girls in a demon attack) has meant that their numbers are severely diminished. They make up one of the four "Great Clans" of the Council of Nine.
- Animal Motifs: Spiders.
- Blue Blood: They have a very old aristocratic bloodline that dates back to the Moons Age, but their attempts to keep it this way is largely responsible for their current state. This trope is also the reason why all members, even subhouse members, are automatically Vals.
- Cornered Rattlesnake: As of the Timeskip, they are fighting alongside the Sharen against the rebel clans. While they are clearly losing at this point and nearing their demise, they still manage to cause the rebel clans a significant amount of trouble by taking very desperate measures. In fact, the Beldrobbaen were the main reason the Sarghress were stuck in a bloody deadlock for so long, in spite of their increasing numerical advantage. It isn't until the Beldrobbaen pull out and the Sarghress launch a major sneak attack that the Sarghress finally start making significant progress in the war.
- Dark Is Not Evil: They dress in all black and revere the darkness... but they are no better or worse on average than the other Val clans.
- Despair Event Horizon: The massacre of a generation of girls at Orthorbbae caused many members to cross it.
- Kick the Dog: After the timeskip, they're one of the clans behind the Penal Colony of Dari'yako, a place described as being hellish.
- Lawful Neutral: Their general strategy and clan philosophy is to wait, like a spider, and not involve themselves in outside disputes unless necessary .
- No OSHA Compliance: Their fortress is actually on the ceiling of Chel's main cavern, does not have glass in many of the windows, and has multiple golem elevators without handrails. Predictably, during Chapter 41 several characters either get close to or actually fall off to their deaths.
- Proud Scholar Race: They have an entire house of males devoted to scholarly pursuits.
- The Purge: During the Nidraa'chal War, after a tainted slave attempted to kill a Val Waes'soloth personally killed every last slave and servant.
- The Remnant: They're one of the oldest clans in Chel, and it's heavily implied that there might even be a few dark elves hiding in the clan.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: They willingly allied with the Sharen in the District War in order to eliminate the Sarghress and maintain their traditional power. But their numbers had already been dwindling, and the war gradually turned in the Sarghress clan's favor, causing Wae'soloth to desire an excuse to pull out. In chapter 41, after the assassination of Diva's body double by Kiel, Waes pulls back the Beld troops from the warzone, and rumors start that their alliance with the Sharen is on its last legs.
- Slobs Versus Snobs: Somewhat on the snobbish side of the scale as they pointedly refuse to mate with non-Vals and do not adopt commoners. Despite this the clan seemed to be on the side of reasonable authority compared to other Val clans, at least prior to the Timeskip. After the timeskip however, they have been working with the Sharen and Black Sun to enslave much of Chel's populace in a desperate bid to retain control over the empire, and are one of the clans behind the Penal Colony of Dariya'ko.
- Vestigial Empire: The Beldrobbaen are descendants from what was once a powerful Dark Elven subrace from the continent of Phariasta, which is also where the Balvhakara clan originated. For several centuries the Beldrobbaen were second only to the Sharen in terms of power within Chel. Unfortunately, their numbers took a big hit during the Orthorbbae massacre and entire houses have died out. Add to this the fact that it's traditional to turn the father of a child into a Drider in order to serve as their protector, in the process making that male unable to sire more children, and you have a recipe for disaster even after the Belds have largely curtailed this practice.
The powerful and mysterious Ill'haress of the Beldrobbaen, Waes'soloth is described as being the only thing holding the declining Beldrobbaen clan together.
- Curtains Match the Window: Probably natural, since Waes is most likely a second generation drow.
- Knight Templar Parent: See below.
- Mama Bear: Single-handily killed every slave in her fortress after a tainted slave went after one of the children.
- Modest Royalty: Considering her status and compared to the other Ill'haresses Waes dresses pretty plainly, though her lack of ornamentation may be as much a statement as their inclusion on others' clothes. Another explanation could be that she dresses modestly because it's rude to stand out or wear bright colors in Beldrobbaen culture, as Naal'suul explained to Kiel'ndia.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Apparently her spider "legs" are actually shadows.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: One tainted slave tried to kill a Val, so her response was to kill all of them, regardless of whether they were tainted or not. According to the clan podcast this was an unpopular decision among the other clan members as it led to an over-reliance on golems and some of the nobles having to do their servants' former duties themselves, leading several of them to believe that Waes has snapped.
- No Indoor Voice: As can be inferred from her speech bubbles, she speaks in a loud, echoing voice.
- Person of Mass Destruction: According to Word of God, Waes'soloth is old enough and powerful enough that, if she went all out and had nothing to lose, she could take out an entire army, not to mention that she has canonically killed hundreds of slaves by herself.
- Spanner in the Works: After the timeskip, she orders that the death of Diva'ratrika's double be announced very publicly, implying that she intends to bust the deception wide open on Sarv'swati, and begins to pull back their troops from the war zone. There's also a heavy implication that she was waiting for an opportunity like this in order to do it, since an earlier conversation with Naal indicated that she had her suspicions about whether Diva was still alive.
Waes'soloth's daughter and heir who was the only person to survive the massacre at Orthobbae-albeit heavily tainted. She is a former
member of Chry'stel's Girl Posse
at Orthorbbae and Kiel'ndia's best friend. Naal'suul is often the voice of reason
amongst her friends.
- And Then John Was a Zombie
- Body Horror: what the glutton demon turned her body into.
- Break the Cutie: pre-broken, though we do see flashbacks of before.
- Catch Phrase: To Kiel: "You're weird." Eventually turned into something of a compliment.
- Cool Pet: Her spider, usually seen riding on her back, nicknamed "Fuzz Fuzz" by fans.
- Cry Cute: See Not So Stoic.
- Cuteness Proximity: Has this effect on Kharla of all people.
- Deadpan Snarker: She makes the same sort of comments she did before her tainting, but due being an Emotionless Girl now she does it with a deadpan expression.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Dyes her hair black, dresses in all black, specializes in shadow sorcery, comes from a Clan that reveres darkness, and is the closest to what humans would consider good or moral.
- Demonic Possession
- Determinator: The fact that she's kept her seed at bay for as long as she has is seen as evidence of this in universe, as is the fact that even once it takes her over she retains at least some control after the 15 year timeskip.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Many of her clothes, especially when she was younger, and one sketch◊ of a young Naal describes her as "doll-like".
- Emotionless Girl: Somewhat, since she does show emotion, just comparatively little of it.
- Gray Eyes: Originally.
- Kill the Cutie: It wasn't exactly unexpected, but the manner and timing were still a surprise.
- Mind Rape: What being tainted did to her.
- Not So Stoic: One of the most powerful moments in the series thus far and unquestionably a Tear Jerker.
- Not Quite Dead: at least something of Naal's original consciousness still exists, judging by the fact that she didn't eat Kiel, and Khaless confirms this in Chapter 39.
- Odd Friendship: With Kiel, and while her mother doesn't exactly seem to disapprove, she doesn't exactly seem to approve either.
- Perky Goth: Originally.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Kiel, and it's hard to deny after this.
- Then there's this nuclear warhead of a Ship Tease. The fandom nearly exploded with squee. May have officially upgraded to Les Yay at this point.
- Too Many Belts: They help her feel secure. And yes, the fandom ran with this.
- Your Days Are Numbered: Knows that her seed could overpower her any day now and now it has.
- Why Am I Ticking?: When her seed overpowers her, it will result in a rampaging demon that could pose a serious threat to anyone in the vicinity of her at the time as Sate'ja found out the hard way.
A son of Waes'soloth and Naal'suul's younger brother. Unusually for members of his clan he has a rather upbeat personality. Is very interested in re-animating corpses and is rarely seen without Bob
, his undead chicken of doom
. After the timeskip, he's the drummer for Kyo'nne's band.
- All Drummers Are Animals: As part of Kyo'nne's band. While not too much on the "animal" side he's definitely on the odd side, especially for his clan.
- Ambiguous Disorder: There's just enough about the guy that's off that makes people wonder. While he's clearly a very good golem engineer and perhaps a bit of a savant, his bizarre reactions to events around him including focusing on losing Bob the Chicken after his sister's seed horrifically takes her over makes one wonder. And he was like this even before Naal got tainted.
- Dragged into Drag: Along with Nau'kheol.
- Easily Forgiven After the timeskip Ariel gets along well enough with him, which is odd since he was in on the attempt to kill her at Orthorbbae when she was younger. Possibly because by then it's been the better part of 20 years.
- Girlish Pigtails: Gets these when he gets Dragged into Drag.
- Gray Eyes
- Insufferable Genius: Already had some of this as a child, but it fully manifests after the timeskip, culminating in Ariel and Kyo'nne simultaneously telling him to shut up.
- Necromantic: He tells Naal that he'll bring her back as a golem when she dies, she tells him not to bother. He does make a "Naal 2" to try and cheer up his mom, with predictable results.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Likes bones and bodies just a bit too much... this leads to a Funny Background Event where he can be seen inspecting a dead body to see if it's suitable for golem making.
- Perky Goth: Compared to the rest of his clan, though Naal was very similar to him pre-tainting.
- Punny Name: His name is based on the French exclamation "Quel Horreur!" which means "The Horror!"
- Skunk Stripe: Inverted. He has several black stripes across his white hair.
A member of Diva'ratrika's Imperial Guard and one of the few members left who knew of the three Sharen sisters' coup
and was present when Sil'lice was framed for an attempt on Diva'ratrika's life and sent into exile. He is also a drider.
Odelia'sigismondo Shessembrae Val'Beldrobbaen
The warmaster and chief military officer of the Beldrobbaen clan who commands the forces attempting to stop Kiel from escaping after her assassination
. More information can be found here
An ambassador of the Beldrobbaen clan who assists Kiel in assassinating the false empress
. More information can be found here
- Bad with the Bone: Her elemental affinity is a bone based high art. Sadly we have yet to see her use it outside of her concept art.
- The Mole: She is an agent of the Nidraa'chal. Nevertheless, she still has her clan's best interests at heart, and doesn't entirely trust Snadhya'rune.
- Shoulders of Doom: She has some impressive shoulders on her outfit.
- Spanner in the Works: Towards the Sharen, or at least the ones who aren't Snadhya'rune.
- Treacherous Advisor: Well, ambassador technically, but close enough.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Combined with Deal with the Devil, since she says her main concern is the continued survival of the Beldrobbaen under Snadhya's rule if she wins. The Beldrobbaen clan has been in long decline, especially since they have allied with the Sharen in a losing war against the Sarghress. As such, even though she does not trust Snadhya'rune at all, she believes that allying with the Nidraa'chal is the best hope for her clan's survival.
Return to the main character index here