open/close all folders
The Clan as a whole
Background Information:The Nal'sarkoth are originally from another underground city called Mimaneid, which is why they appear somewhat darker than standard Chelians, as well as seeming to have shorter ears than other drow. In some ways a rival to the Val'Illhar'dro as both clans hold a monopoly on trade, but they also work together for their mutual benefit and are on friendly terms with each other. It also helps that their trade links are mutually co-operative, the Illhar'dro mostly focus on underworld contacts and expansion, whereas the Nal'Sarkoth specialise in overworld trade and settlements as explained by the writers in the Nal'Sarkoth clan podcast.
- All There in the Manual: The clan's history, as written by the clan's creators.
- Animal Motifs: Their clan mount appears to be some type of yak◊ called a Haledri.
- Bodyguard Betrayal: According to the Daydream story set in Mimaneid, the Nal'sarkoth were originally allied with the Kashyra, a clan they had hired to do mercenary and security work for them, but this became an example of Mistreatment-Induced Betrayal since the Kashyra didn't feel appreciated by the Nal'sarkoth, so they were eventually overthrown, the original leader killed and only Rel'lumia and a few others escaping to Chel.
- Contest Winner Cameo: A variation, in that they were created by two fans as part of a contest and then added to the series' official canon, and as a fairly major player in Chel's political scene, too.
- Elemental Eye Colors: Most members of the clan seem to have Green Eyes, which fits with the fact that they tend to have wood affinities.
- Everyone Went to School Together: It's not canon that the two clans would recognize each other, but it has now been confirmed that the Jaal'darya also once lived in Mimaneid.
- Green Thumb: The clan's hat, since they're among the only people in Chel who know how to work with plants, have affinities for wood and have major ties to the surface, and because green dye is expensive and hard to get they use it as their clan's color.
- Hufflepuff House: So far they've played this role in the main story, but they're very important in the Path To Power and Relic Hunters games.
- Intrepid Merchant: Like the Illhar'dro they have many ties to the surface and trade is their main source of income.
- Noble Fugitive: The entire clan became this after having to flee their home city of Mimaneid before they settled in Chel.
- Odd Couple: Their house is made up of various races not just drow. This is due to a need to bulk up their numbers and the fact that their trading covers a vast network area. Some dwarves and even halmes head minor sub-houses but when entering Chel are almost always accompanied by a drow.
- Properly Paranoid: They designed their home in Chel so that an attack like the one that drove them out of Mimaneid couldn't happen again, and they actively cultivate positive relationships with other clans to avoid the jealousy and discontent that caused it.
- Self-Made Orphan: Rel'lumia's second daughter attempted this but failed.
Rel'lumia Val'Nal'sarkothThe Illharess of the Val'Nal'sarkoth clan.
- Bodyguard Betrayal: She used beast guards to keep herself safe. But when Kharla'ggen's Phlebotinum Overload People Puppets all the fae, the beast guards themselves, who were immune to this power, took advantage of the event to betray and kill her.
- Character Tics: Gesturing with her fan◊.
- Green Thumb: As is her clan's hat.
- Immigrant Patriotism: Though originally from Mimaneid, Rel'lumia shows a large amount of concern for her adopted homeland.
- Proud Merchant Race: At the Ill'haress gathering called by Zala'ess preTimeSkip, she is one of the most vocal supporters for drow expansion to the surface world.
- You Gotta Have Green Hair
Ini'riia Val'Nal'sarkoth*noteRel'lumia's eldest daughter and heir. She knows Kel'noz from many years ago, appearing in early chapters chronicling Ariel starting Orthobbae. She later attends the Council Dome meeting in Chapter 16, as a Nal'sarkoth representative. Her most recent appearance is in Chapter 38, when she is caught up in the Vloz attack on North Cliff. Her concept art can be found here.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Notably averted during chapter 38. Her hair is very frizzy, likely from the heat, and she seems to have a burn on her right cheek. Amusingly, her white dress seems to be spotless, meaning it got off better than she did.
- Curtains Match the Window: Though her hair is almost certainly dyed.
- Giant Poofy Sleeves: On her dress in Chapter 38, though a bit lower down than most, and her actual shoulders are bare, leaving them as semi-detached sleeves.
- New Old Flame: For Kel'noz if you take the Daydream story where she has a crush on him as canon.
- Number Two: To her mother.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Was concerned with the fate of one of the landlords in her district in Chapter 38.
- Side-Story Bonus Art: She has also appeared in a Daydream story chronicling Mel'arnach's own years at Orthobbae.
- Simple Staff: Carries a staff around with her. This is said by Word of God to be seen as redundant in Chel and Nuqrah'shareh, but this might be a remnant of her roots back in Mimaneid; said to be a very traditional minded city which still considers duels to be a appropriate way of determining strength.
- Woman in White: In Chapter 38 she wears a pure white dress that somehow manages to escape damage.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Delivers a small pep-talk to Ariel along these lines.
Gailen Val'Nal'sarkothIni'riia's youngest son, and a classmate of Ariel's. He is put in the spotlight in the maybe canon contest story Disharmony. The first time we see him since Ariel was at school is in Chapter 39 where he is waiting for Shinae to give birth.
- Cool Pet: His tiktikki.
- Disappeared Dad: His father is from another city, though Ini'riia hopes to meet him again someday.
- Dogged Nice Guy: As Shinae's boyfriend. Yet the contest story Disharmony shows that he can give as good as he gets in terms of snark.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: The sight of Shinae's deformed stillborn baby sends him into a minor one, and tells them to burn it before she sees it.
- Green Thumb: Like most Nal'Sarkoth.
- The Masochism Tango: This was the opinion of most people regarding his relationship with Shinae in Disharmony.
- Multicolored Hair: His hair is mostly green, but blue near the tips.
- Official Couple: After the timeskip, with Shinae thanks to a side story by Zeerose.
- The Quiet One: His firs. spoken line of dialog is 15 pages after his first appearance)
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Describes his relationship with Shinae, for a given definition of Shinae's energetic.
- Security Blanket: How he seems to use his tiktikki.
- Shrinking Violet: During introductions he looks very nervous and clutches his tiktikki.
- And Word of God on his relationship with Shinae also suggests this:Gailen remainednote simply because he is too good of a man, patient or perhaps a touch masochistic.
- And Word of God on his relationship with Shinae also suggests this:
- Understanding Boyfriend: And how! No wonder Word of God above suggests that he is a masochist.
Kyolr’gan* noteA Nal'sarkoth soldier and Ini'iria's bodyguard, first seen during the Vloz attack on North Cliff in Chapter 38.
Aba'della*noteA young Nal'sarkoth present at Snadhya's gathering Felde, first seen in Chapter 44. His unseen mother has raised him to be a mate to Nidraa'chal supporters. Due to his young age, he is shy and retiring... but due to the nature of the role he was raised to play, he is not hesitant about making suggestions to potential mates. His concept art can be found here◊.
- Abusive Parents: His mother is definitely this, having kept him starved and maltreated just because she only values him as breeding stock for Nidraa'chal females.
- Baby Factory: He is a gender-inverted form of this trope.
- Cute Bookworm: Described as this on his concept page.
- The Dark Arts: Studies nether summoning as a hobby, though males are incapable of performing it.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: And how! In fact many forumites were initially confused to whether or not he was a girl until the creator cleared things up.
- Green Eyes: Indicating his Nal'Sarkoth heritage.
- The Ingenue: In appearance, which makes it weirder hearing him say things like:Aba'della to the much older Ash'mita "Should we retire to a bedroom to..."
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Like most drowolath males.
- Multicolored Hair: The front part of his hair is dyed green whilst the rest is white.
- One Head Taller: He and Ash'mita Sullisin'rune are an inversion of the trope.
- Precocious Crush: Appears to have one for older drow females, though this is largely due to his upbringing.
- Shrinking Violet
- Shy Green Haired Boy: His mother is suggested to be a member of the Nal'Sarkoth, but has not been named yet in the comics. He even has to be escorted around the gathering at Felde by Ash'mita as otherwise he would be approaching any available female on the off-chance of them being Nidraa'chal.
- Sheltered Aristocrat: Raised this way by his mother.
- Summon Magic: He has studied nether arts but, as a male, cannot open nether gates.
- Tagalong Kid: It looks like Ash'mita sees him more as this than as a prospective mate.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: Again with Ash'mita.
- Zettai Ryouiki: A rare male example, and Grade A to boot.
Erusa'kel*noteA Nal'sarkoth Tax Collector and Nidraa'chal agent first seen at the Felde meeting, during Chapter 44. His concept art can be found here◊.
- Badass Bureaucrat: And how! He even intimidates Chrys'tel.
- BFS: The sword he wields is absolutely massive.
- Bouncer: He takes this role very seriously as Mel'arnach and later Chrys'tel found out.
- Dramatic Ellipsis: He frequently punctuates his sentences with these to give himself a more ominous tone.
- Evil Debt Collector: Or rather, an evil tax collector to be precise.
- Give Me a Reason: He keeps his anger under control, but it's very clear he'll cheerfully accept any excuse to vent it. Violently.
- Insult Backfire: When Lulianne (actually Khaless in disguise) calls him a creep, he says that hearing it from her, he considers that a compliment.
- Knife Nut: When first introduced, he keeps holding one behind his back the entire time he is talking with Mel'arnach and Lulianne. Then he upgrades this into a sword.
- No Sell: He can fool empaths.
- Obviously Evil: So much so, it appears to be deliberate on the creator's choice.
- Psychotic Smirk: Sports one of these when he insists on escorting Mel'arnach and Lulianne.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: He has the red eyes of a tainted and is decidedly creepy.
- Spiteful Spit: After stabbing a Sullisin'rune spy, he contemptuously spits on her dying body.
- Suppressed Rage: In a constant state of this.
- Trademark Favorite Food: His concept art states that he likes fruits of any kind.
Kane'ohe*noteAn Ys council member and Nal'sarkoth representative. She is also a Nidraa'chal agent. She appears in Chapter 45, informing the Tur'geis' squad that they are no longer welcome in Ys. Her concept art can be found here◊.
- Deep Cover Agent: She is ostensibly represents her colony and Nal'sarkoth interests, but she has been a Nidraa'chal agent for decades.
- Faux Affably Evil
- Hair Decorations: She wears earmuffs held on with a headband. They're strangely adorable.
- Obstructive Bureaucrat
- Precision F-Strike: She delivers news of banishment to the Sarghress squad with a tone of feigned courtesy. When they refuse to accept this, she cheerfully tells them that they can fuck off.
- Smug Smiler
- Subordinate Excuse: Idolizes Snadhya'rune. Her concept art implies this is not entirely platonic...
Apura Nal'sarkoth*noteA Nal'sarkoth soldier serving in Quain'tana's forces. Set to appear in Chapter 50. Their concept art can be found here◊.
Viri'sylvia*noteAn ambitious and ruthless Nal'sarkoth merchant. Set to appear in Chapter 50. Her concept art can be found here◊.
Return to the main character index here.