Characters: Drowtales Val Nalsarkoth
Return to the main character index here. A * next to a character's name indicates that they are a reader-sponsored cameo.
Return to the main character index here.
open/close all folders
The Clan as a whole
Background Information:The Nal'sarkoth are originally from another underground city called Mimaneid, which is why they appear somewhat darker than standard Chelians, as well as seeming to have shorter ears than other drow. In some ways a rival to the Val'Illhar'dro as both clans hold a monopoly on trade, but they also work together for their mutual benefit and are on friendly terms with each other. It also helps that their trade links are mutually co-operative, the Illhar'dro mostly focus on underworld contacts and expansion, whereas the Nal'Sarkoth specialise in overworld trade and settlements as explained by the writers in the Nal'Sarkoth clan podcast.
- All There in the Manual (the clan's history, as written by the clan's creators)
- Animal Motifs (their clan mount appears to be some type of yak◊ called a Haledri)
- Bodyguard Betrayal (According to the Daydream story set in Mimaneid, the Nal'sarkoth were originally allied with the Kashyra, a clan they had hired to do mercenary and security work for them, but this became an example of Mistreatment-Induced Betrayal since the Kashyra didn't feel appreciated by the Nal'sarkoth, so they were eventually overthrown, the original leader killed and only Rel'lumia and a few others escaping to Chel.)
- Contest Winner Cameo (a variation, in that they were created by two fans as part of a contest and then added to the series' official canon, and as a fairly major player in Chel's political scene, too)
- Elemental Eye Colors (most members of the clan seem to have Green Eyes, which fits with the fact that they tend to have wood affinities)
- Everyone Went to School Together (its not canon that the two clans would recognise each other, but it has now been confirmed that the Jaal'darya also once lived in Mimaneid)
- Green Thumb (the clan's hat, since they're among the only people in Chel who know how to work with plants, have affinities for wood and have major ties to the surface, and because green dye is expensive and hard to get they use it as their clan's color)
- Hufflepuff House (so far they've played this role in the main story, but they're very important in the Path To Power and Relic Hunters games)
- Intrepid Merchant (Like the Illhar'dro they have many ties to the surface and trade is their main source of income.)
- Noble Fugitive (the entire clan became this after having to flee their home city of Mimaneid before they settled in Chel)
- Odd Couple (Their house is made up of various races not just drow. This is due to a need to bulk up their numbers and the fact that their trading covers a vast network area. Some dwarves and even halmes head minor sub-houses but when entering Chel are almost always accompanied by a drow.)
- Properly Paranoid (they designed their home in Chel so that an attack like the one that drove them out of Mimaneid couldn't happen again, and they actively cultivate positive relationships with other clans to avoid the jealousy and discontent that caused it)
- Self-Made Orphan (Rel'lumia's second daughter attempted this but failed)
Rel'lumia Val'Nal'sarkothThe Illharess of the Val'Nal'sarkoth clan.
- Character Tics (Gesturing with her fan◊)
- Green Thumb (As is her clan's hat.)
- Immigrant Patriotism (Though originally from Mimaneid, Rel'lumia shows a large amount of concern for her adopted homeland.)
- Proud Merchant Race (At the Ill'haress gathering called by Zala'ess preTimeSkip, she is one of the most vocal supporters for drow expansion to the surface world)
- You Gotta Have Green Hair
Ini'riia Val'Nal'sarkothRel'lumia's eldest daughter and heir. She knows Kel'noz from many years ago, appearing in early chapters chronicling Ariel starting Orthobbae. She has also appeared in a Daydream story chronicling Mel'arnach's own years at Orthobbae.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished (notably averted during chapter 38. Her hair is very frizzy, likely from the heat, and she seems to have a burn on her right cheek. Amusingly, her white dress seems to be spotless, meaning it got off better than she did.)
- Curtains Match the Window (though her hair is almost certainly dyed)
- Giant Poofy Sleeves (on her dress in Chapter 38, though a bit lower down than most, and her actual shoulders are bare, leaving them as semi Detached Sleeves)
- New Old Flame (for Kel'noz if you take the Daydream story where she has a crush on him as canon)
- Number Two (of her mother)
- Reasonable Authority Figure (Was concerned with the fate of one of the landlords in her district in Chapter 38.)
- Simple Staff (Carries a staff around with her. This is said by Word of God to be seen as redundant in Chel and Nuqrah'shareh, but this might be a remnant of her roots back in Mimaneid; said to be a very traditional minded city which still considers duels to be a appropriate way of determining strength.)
- Woman in White (In Chapter 38 she wears a pure white dress that somehow manages to escape damage)
Gailen Val'Nal'sarkothIni'riia's youngest son, and a classmate of Ariel's. He is put in the spotlight in the maybe canon contest story Disharmony. The first time we see him since Ariel was at school is in Chapter 39 where he is waiting for Shinae to give birth.
- Cool Pet (his tiktikki)
- Disappeared Dad (his father is from another city, though Ini'riia hopes to meet him again someday)
- Dogged Nice Guy (As Shinae's boyfriend. Yet the contest story Disharmony shows that he can give as good as he gets in terms of snark.)
- Heroic BSOD (the sight of Shinae's deformed stillborn baby sends him into a minor one, and tells them to burn it before she sees it)
- Green Thumb (like most Nal'Sarkoth)
- The Masochism Tango (This was the opinion of most people regarding his relationship with Shinae in Disharmony.)
- Multicolored Hair (his hair is mostly green, but blue near the tips)
- Official Couple (after the timeskip, with Shinae thanks to a side story by Zeerose)
- The Quiet One (his first spoken line of dialog is 15 pages after his first appearance)
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl (Describes his relationship with Shinae, for a given definition of Shinae's energeticness)
- Security Blanket (how he seems to use his tiktikki)
- Shrinking Violet (during introductions he looks very nervous and clutches his tiktikki)
- And Word of God on his relationship with Shinae also suggests this:Gailen remainednote simply because he is too good of a man, patient or perhaps a touch masochistic.
- And Word of God on his relationship with Shinae also suggests this:
- Understanding Boyfriend (And how! No wonder Word of God above suggests that he is a masochist))
Erusa'kelA Nal'sarkoth tax collector, currently in service to Snadhya'rune. Also heavily implied to be a Nidraa'chal agent.
- Bouncer (He takes this role very seriously as Mel'arnach and later Chrys'tel found out.)
- Dramatic Ellipsis (He frequently punctuates his sentences with these to give himself a more ominous tone.)
- Evil Debt Collector (Or rather, an evil tax collector to be precise)
- Insult Backfire (When Lulianne (actually Khaless in disguise) calls him a creep, he says that hearing it from her, he considers that a compliment.)
- Knife Nut (When first introduced, he keeps holding one behind his back the entire time he is talking with Mel'arnach and Lulianne. Then in Chapter 44, he upgrades this into a sword)
- Obviously Evil (So much so, it appears to be deliberate on the creator's choice.)
- Psychotic Smirk (Sports one of these when he insists on escorting Mel'arnach and Lulianne.)
- Red Eyes, Take Warning (He has the red eyes of a tainted and is decidedly creepy.)
Return to the main character index here.