- Awesome Music:
- The theme music, especially when given vocals to accompany Vienna's exit during Bigg Freeze.
- The Bridge Cafe Band Music is perfect for the show's Roaring '20s setting, and it just makes you want to get up and dance.
- Broken Aesop: The original edit of "Munitions" has a very odd one; at the end, Captain Starr blames the accident equally on Ten Cents, O. J., and Bluenose- even though the episode itself showed that the incident was entirely Bluenose's fault. It's especially bizarre because the Aesop of "not all authority figures are reasonable and you shouldn't just follow orders without thinking about them" comes across perfectly well in the episode itself, only for Starr to suddenly claim that "Bluenose was right in his way". The TV edit corrects by stating the incident was more clearly Bluenose's fault. There has been some speculation that this had to do with an extended version of the episode.
- Designated Villain: Zorran being stuck in quarantine in the episode of the same name is treated as Laser-Guided Karma even though he didn't really do anything to deserve it- the flaunting of protocol was done entirely by the Nantucket.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: The Z-Stacks, despite being rivals to the Star Tugs, are pretty popular with fans, Zorran and Zebede especially, with the former is like for his cheeky remarks & his voice and the latter for being a Token Good Teammate.
- Friendly Fandoms: The show is popular among Thomas & Friends fans to the point where there are plenty of Crossover fanfictions between the two. Being produced by the same studio, having some of the models recycled starting in the latter's' third season (Big Mickey eventually became a speaking character again by season 21), and the fact that most of the research on the series (such as the identities of the other voice actors besides Chris Tulloch and Patrick Allen) was carried out by Sodor Island Forums (who also owns many of the original models used on the show via the Star Tugs Trust subsidiary) also helps.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: At one point Captain Star addressed Boomer with, "Okay, Boomer!"
- Mexicans Love Speedy Gonzales: Despite Izzy Gomez being a Mexican caricature, Mexican members of the fandom love him.
- Values Dissonance: Izzy Gomez is portrayed as the lazy Mexican stereotype. If TUGS were to be made today, a caricature like that would not fly at all.
- Visual Effects of Awesome: The series had quite a few explosions, with "Munitions" getting the award for "Episode Most Likely Made by Both Michael Bay and Gerry Anderson".
- What an Idiot!: Zorran in "The Big Freeze", Lillie is running low on fuel which means her light won't work, there's a fuel shortage due to the cold weather and the SS Vienna is going to be towed in by Hercules. Zorran has the only available fuel barge and says it's fuel for Vienna. But Vienna won't be able to come into port without the guide of Lillie's light. You think Zorran would know that Lillie is important to have her light on for ships to come into port and give the fuel barge to Ten Cents and Sunshine or deliver the fuel to Lillie himself, but no he refuses to give the fuel to the two Star tugs and doesn't even believe them that they want the fuel for Lillie and thinks they want to fuel up Vienna. Forcing Sunshine and Ten Cents to get an emergency light barge. OJ and Ten Cents even Lampshade Zorran's stupidity.
YMMV / Tugs