- Alternative Character Interpretation:
- Eli and Serena's relationship is definitely not healthy, but one also has to wonder if it's even truly consensual. And if it's not, who's coercing who? Serena can make anyone obey her with words alone... but Eli's trying to kill her and makes it clear he will do so if she doesn't keep ordering him not to, essentially forcing Serena into a position where she has to act as his henchwoman to save her own skin, whether she likes it or not.
- The cause of Eli hallucinating Victor while imprisoned in Vengeful. Is it a guilty conscience for having (allegedly) killed a man who was once his best friend? Pure psychosis? Genuinely missing his Only Friend? Is it some form of love?
- Draco in Leather Pants: Some of the fanbase has a rather disturbing tendency to whitewash Victor's actions or see him as a hero, possibly due to his tender moments with Sidney and Mitch. This is despite the fact that Victor tortured and killed a police officer, (accidentally) killed his friend with no remorse, experimented with his pain-inducing power on hundreds of inmates killing one, sees other people as tools, and generally acts like a sadistic sociopath.
- Ho Yay:
- In their college days, Victor and Eli's friendship comes off as quite intimate, and Victor's jealousy over Angie is far more directed towards the loss of some of Eli's attention than it is to hers. After they become mortal enemies, this doesn't lessen the subtext one whit. In the second book, we find out Eli hallucinated (and conversed with) Victor constantly while imprisoned. He also admits Victor is the only person that ever understood him.
- Victor and his new partner, Mitch, sometimes come off like partners in the other sense of the word. There are many, many jokes about Sydney having two daddies in the fandom.
- On the Les Yay side of things, June's devotion to Sydney, and her desire for Sydney to "choose" her sometimes comes off more as an unrequited crush than a desire to be a Cool Big Sis. Which can get a bit Squicky, since Sydney, although she's about seventeen or eighteen by the time she knows June, physically still looks like a thirteen-year-old.
- Fan-Preferred Couple: Eli/Victor is by far the most popular ship in the fandom.
- Fanon: Mitch's race is never specified, but most of the fandom seems to agree that he's black.
- Foe Yay: Victor and Eli are... fixated on each other, to say the least. Their mutual hatred comes off more as an obsessive, destructive attraction at times.
- Jerkass Woobie: As of Vengeful, Eli. He may be a near-sociopath, but his childhood was a neverending nightmare, and things only got worse from there. No matter how much you hated him in the first book, it's near-impossible to read the scene where he's vivisected without cringing.
- Portmanteau Couple Name: Carvale, for Victor Vale and Eli Cardale.
- The Woobie:
- Poor, poor Sydney. Her life went straight to hell the moment she acquired her powers. Meeting Victor makes things better in some ways, but a lot worse in others.
- Mitch's entire life has sucked, to put it mildly, and now he's caught in the crossfire of a feud between two extremely powerful people.
YMMV / The Villains Series