- 8.8: The game was shipped more than 20 years later than its intended release date. Even knowing this, many (but not all) critics judged this game by modern releases rather than it's own merits for the time. This resulted in IGN giving the game a mere "5.0".
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Fay and Miyu have pretty dedicated fans, which is fairly impressive for a pair of characters that have only shown up in a single, formerly cancelled game and nowhere else. Since the reboot, the series has had very few female characters of note.
- Goddamned Boss:
- King Dodora isn't terribly hard, but it has a ton of defense and a well guarded hitbox. In addition, it can breathe fire; since the fight is supposed to be done in Walker form, you'll have to turn into the Arwing and barrel roll to avoid burn damage, wasting time.
- Expert Mode Fortuna is a gauntlet of three of these:
- Queen Dioray is a giant underwater squid. The Arwing cannot function underwater, so you'll need to switch to Walker mode. Once you hit it, though, it will immediately become invincible and surface, forcing you to go back to Arwing mode and wait to surface yourself. Once you beat it, you'll have to turn back into the Walker and sink back down.
- Inside the base, you'll have to fight the Kick Gunner. While it appeared in Hard Mode, this variant is far more annoying due to its arena having four pools of water in a square, and the Kick Gunner will more often jump between two pools than jump onto land and attack for a while. When it goes into a pool, it will take a while to jump out again, making it potentially a massive time sink.
- To add insult to injury, the core of the base is the most annoying variant: four turrets in the corners that must be defeated to attack the core. If you don't have a Smart Bomb, you'll probably be adding another second to the timer.
- Heartwarming Moments: After over twenty years, it's finally been released to the public. For a game that has had numerous unfinished builds and incomplete attempts at realizing what the game was trying to be, Nintendo has finally given the game a worldwide official release.
- Older Than They Think: It was actually this game that introduced the Star Wolf team. Their characters would be recycled (with significant Art Shift and a total character change from Algy to Andrew) for a re-debut in Star Fox 64. This also marks the first time that Andross uses Giant Hands of Doom and a more natural face (only seen on Hard and Expert difficulties), inspiring all of his later boss fights. In addition, many of Star Fox's core game mechanics were first introduced in Star Fox 2: homing charged shots, free movement in flight, land combat, underwater combat, the tactical map, transforming arwings... all of these ideas were recycled for later releases, including Star Fox 64, star Fox Command, and Star Fox Zero. The fact that the transforming arwings were directly inspired by Star Fox 2 was acknowledged by Shigeru Miyamoto himself.
- That One Boss: The Space Blade, one of Andross's Hunters that has a 25% chance of spawning on Hard and a 50% chance on Expert, is the toughest boss in the game. It starts out far away from you and unleashes a bunch of highly damaging barrages of shots as you approach. Once you get there, while the shots lower in intensity, they still do a good chunk of damage if they hit. As for damaging it, it has three shields rotating around it that block all shots, and getting a hit on the center weakpoint is harder than it seems. Lastly, after a while of being nearby, it will turn into a spinning blade and fly away for a while while also becoming invincible, starting the process over while wasting a lot of time.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Character: Fara, Fay, and Miyu: Fara simply isn't in the final release, while Miyu and Fay remain exclusive to this game (Miyu was apparently recycled as Katt Monroe, and Fay seems to have inspired Bill Grey). They were meant to expand the main Star Fox cast and include a female component... something that took until Star Fox: Assault to be realized by making Krystal one of the Arwing pilots, and even then, that was to replace Peppy, and Krystal is only playable in multiplayer.
YMMV / Star Fox 2