- Author's Saving Throw: Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle is yet another anime adaptation, but is confirmed to be a retelling of the first three episodes rather than an original story with Slice of Life elements. Fan reaction has, for the most part, been much warmer than what Phantasy Star Online 2: The Animation faced.
- "Common Knowledge": A common belief in some circles is that Episode Oracle is a sequel or "Season 2" to The Animation, resulting in confusion about why this anime is so much more violent and the sudden loss of the Slice of Life elements.
- Continuity Lock-Out: The way the show lays out its plot points and pacing makes it very clear that the show is targeted towards viewers who have already played through the game's story. Without knowledge of the plot, much of the story appears as a confusing, jumbled mess; this is especially evident with the adaptation of EPISODE 1, which consists primarily of a series of events that are only tangentially related to each other.
- Memetic Mutation: Sue's brutal decapitation in the first episode has quickly become the subject of various memes, similar in fashion to Mami from Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
- Narm: The scene of Dark Falz Elder erupting from Naberius in Episode 6 is copy-pasted straight from the game. The jarring contrast between the cutscene's fluidly animated CGI visuals and the anime results in it looking extremely out of place, to hilarious effect.
- One-Scene Wonder: Anime Stratos, despite only appearing for ten seconds as a Call-Forward cameo, is this due to already being an Ensemble Dark Horse and all kinds of Moe.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks!: A lot of fans were not particularly receptive of Funimation's name changes, such as "Darkers" becoming "Falspawn". Some were certainly not amused when the Western version of PSO2 seemed to stick by these name changes either.
- Win the Crowd: While fans were initially wary due to the poor reception that The Animation got, the Darker and Edgier interpretation of the game's story alongside the Adaptation Expansion aspect that the anime takes has been received positively.
YMMV / Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle