You're in a horror game, you're low on health and ammo and you decide to run into the bathrooms to get away from an oncoming swarm. Just when you think all hope is lost, you find ammo, health and armour discarded in the toilets.
Just when you've healed up, you turn around and a monster jumps out a previously locked stall.
This is becoming more the norm in horror video games, and most people miss it due to not needing to enter the bathrooms.
- Chapter 14 of The Evil Within gives us Brain Juice inside an urinal. It's in a jar, however, so Sebastian doesn't have to scoop it up like he does the mook drops of it.
- There's a clue in the petrol station's restrooms in Barrow Hill.
- Restrooms in the Dark Fall games usually contain either clues or useful items.
- Dark Fall: Lost Souls, there's a ghost and an icky grub in there too.
- In The Lost Crown, Nigel has several spooky experiences in the Harbour Cottage bathroom, and has a conversation with a little girl's ghost in the basement restroom of the museum.
- In the Midnight Horror Halloween vignette-game, Nigel must bluff some petty dope dealers into leaving the men's loo to deflect a policeman's attention from Rhys.
- In Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches, the upstairs bathroom must be visited more than once to collect necessary items.
- In Safecracker, A hand dryer in one of the Crabb house's restrooms conceals a safe behind it, with a schematic elsewhere that explains how it works.
- In the 2006 spiritual successor, a series of clues from restrooms in Duncan Adam's mansion provides the combination for the final safe.
- Two of the bathrooms in Scratches contain inventory items you need, and a third (converted to a darkroom) contains some interesting photos. In the follow-up adventure, the bathroom is where the Madman in the Attic can be found lurking at the climax.
- In Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, if you manage to get into the stalls in Myrtle's bathroom, you'll find that when you cast Flipendo on the toilets, various things come out such as Bertie Bott's Beans, gnomes, and pixies.
- In the PC puzzle adventure Dark Tales: Murders in the Rue Morgue, the collector's edition's bonus chapter has you hunting through a set of rooms for various items. One of the missing pieces of the grandfather clock is found inside the toilet, but your character notes that they're reluctant to put their hands into the dirty water, so you have to flush first.
- In The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, giving any piece of paper to a hand coming out of the Stock Pot Inn toilet will reward you with a piece of heart.
- Keys can be found in toilets in Luigi's Mansion.
- Leisure Suit Larry:
- The restroom at Lefty's Bar in Leisure Suit Larry 1: In the Land of the Lounge Lizards provides Larry with a password for a locked and guarded door among all the Bathroom Stall Graffiti and a diamond ring he finds in the sink.
- Leisure Suit Larry 6: Shape Up or Slip Out! lampshades the occurrence in the first game when you have Larry search the sink in the restroom adjacent to his hotel room. He finds — nothing! What did he expect to find there in the first place, a diamond ring or what?
- Both Borderlands games have ammo, grenades and/or health vials in random toilets and porta-potties.
- In Borderlands 2 port-a-potties also literally bring up the loot item on a gush of water emerging from the toilet bowl.
- In Doom 3, Items such as health, armour and armour shards are often hidden in bathrooms around the game.
- Usually not the case in BioShock, but early in the first game you find the path you need to take by entering the men's room of a bar. Lampshaded with an audio diary that complains about the hole in the bathroom wall.
- The finale map of the Dead Center campaign in Left 4 Dead 2 has various items spawn inside the urinals and toilets, which include first aid kits, pills, adrenaline shots, and special ammo.
- In Death Road to Canada, you can find loot in toilets. You can even find a toilet genie that can grant a wish.
- Certain areas in the Fallout games have items sitting in toilets. Usually drugs of one kind or another. Occasionally there's a corpse with a few supplies lying in the bathtub — presumably where they hid to try to evade the nuclear bombs. Public toilets, for example in office buildings, may have medical cabinets on the walls.
- Shit Nuggets can be found inside toilets in South Park: The Stick of Truth, although in this case it's well explained in that you made them yourself.
- Silent Hill 2 has a key item hidden in a filthy toilet. This has become a common shout out for the series in other games and a running gag in the series itself. Heather of 3 and Henry of The Room both notice an item in a toilet, but are unable to bring themselves to grab it. Heather wonders what kind of sicko would stick their hand in a toilet.
- Dead Space has a few goodies stuffed away in some of the bathrooms. Just look out for swarmers.
- Discussed in Corpse Party D2: Fatal Operation, when Naomi tries to justify to Seiko why they're poking around the men's room.
Naomi: There might be something important here, you know?
Seiko: In the urinal.
Naomi: Things don't always make sense in these situations, okay?
- In Claire, various items, such as batteries and keys, are found in toilets.
- Since the alpha 13 update in 7 Days to Die, toilets can be opened like containers. Mostly they contain turds (that can be thrown as distractions) and bottles of murky water ( that gives you dysentery if drunk without boiling first). Those basic (if disgusting) items are useful enough especially in the early game, but then, for some reason, every once in a while you can also find a pistol of pretty nice quality inside a bog.