- Alternative Character Interpretation: Some interpret Mark as a drug addict, due to his pill taking.
- Anti-Climax Boss: The final boss, while looks creepy, becomes an absolute joke if you walk in as Bert. You can just shoot him several times and he just quickly dies.
- Best Level Ever: Monster Party blows its load pretty early, as Level 1 (Dark World) is the most memorable and creepy stage in the game, being the only one to include the awesome Dark World gimmick that was supposedly intended to happen in every level.
- Breather Level: Round 5. It's fairly easy, there's only one real boss, and the level itself is a lot more pleasant looking and sounding than any of the others. It comes right before Round 6, generally considered to be the hardest.
- Memetic Mutation:
- OH BOY! MARK SOUP!
- SORRY, I'M DEAD.
- Nightmare Fuel:
- The numerous bloody hellscapes which compose the levels are this for some, as are the final bosses, Chameleon Man, and the game over, level start screens, and ending.
- Those goddamned human-faced polka-dotted dogs!note
- The ending. Bert gives Mark a present. He opens it. A beautiful princess pops out! But the princess then turns into a monster. And then more monsters appear and chase Mark. And then his flesh starts melting off his bones. Luckily he wakes up! It was just a dream! ...until he leaves for school and finds Bert waiting at the door.
- Most of the differences in the beta version involve more on-the-nose (and therefore Lawyer-Unfriendly) parodies than in the final game, but the pre-release title screen has a giant mouth filled with blood instead of green slime, and several of the bosses that parade by look much freakier than the ones you actually end up fighting, with blood dripping from their eyes and mouths and an overall grislier appearance.
- That One Boss: The Giant Dragon in Level 8. Not only is it constantly swooping in and colliding with you to ravage your hit points in a matter of seconds, but its weak point is extremely hard to hit for exactly the same reason.
- That One Level: Level 6. An extremely confusing Haunted House maze, filled with fast-moving blue ghosts that swoop down from overhead and a continuous howling wind sound effect that starts out pretty neat but, when paired with the background music, quickly becomes annoying.
- What Do You Mean, It Wasn't Made on Drugs?: There is no proof that it wasn't.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not for Kids?: The game was released back when there were no ratings for games, and it has gory visuals throughout. And this is after it was seriously toned down.
YMMV / Monster Party