- Awesome Art: Nikki's illustrations are one of the most enjoyable aspects of the series. For a 14-years-old girl, she has talent.
- Base-Breaking Character:
- The main character herself, Nikki Maxwell. Some love her for her dorky and relatable personality, while others hate her for being a whiny Bratty Teenage Daughter.
- Brianna is sometimes this alongside Dork Diaries fans, who either dislike her for making her older sister miserable with her mischievous antics, or love her because of her irresistible cuteness.
- Bizarro Episode: Tales From a Not So Happily Ever After. It revolves around Nikki getting a bump on the head and going through an extremely Fractured Fairy Tale featuring fairy tale versions of her friends and enemies.
- Fridge Brilliance: The entire story takes place on April 1. It's basically a 295-page April Fools episode.
- Cliché Storm: An awkward girl moves to a new school, finds a nemesis in an Alpha Bitch, and falls in love with a cute Nice Guy who returns her feelings? Yeah.
- Fandom Rivalry: Fans of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series seems to hate the series, comparing them to more recent Diary of a Wimpy Kid books (due to having longer plot-relevant events).
- Girl-Show Ghetto: Many readers don't find Dork Diaries to be appealing for being very girly, unlike Diary of a Wimpy Kid and its appeal to both genders. Presumably the reason the Spear Counterpart The Misadventures of Max Crumbly was written.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Nikki's Leaning on the Fourth Wall comment from How To Dork Your Diary becomes this now that a movie adaptation is in the works.I know this might sound really crazy...! But what if Chloe actually turned my very private, dorky tales of WOE into a bestselling book series?! AND a blockbuster movie?!
- Idiot Plot: Much drama could be avoided if Nikki just started talking to people about things instead of jumping to conclusions or coming up with Zany Schemes. Then again, it wouldn't be as funny if she did.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: As shown in books 9 and 10, Mackenzie has become the least popular girl at her new school thanks to her own actions against Nikki. This could have lead to book 11 being about her having Not So Different/Break the Haughty moments that force her to make a HeelFace Turn and become friends with Nikki...but nope, Status Quo Is God.
- Uncanny Valley: One of the illustration styles, depicting humans with black stick-figure-like bodies and mitten hands, yet with normal heads and clothing, can come off like this.
- We're Still Relevant, Dammit!: One illustration from "Birthday Drama" makes a reference to the "Fortnite Dance Challenge" videos (alongside dabbing).
YMMV / Dork Diaries