UC: Deviating From Normality Wombat Style, is a webcomic written by Betsy and drawn by Jena. It is a high school fantasy adventure comic, following four new friends: new girl Kelsi, resident drama queen Ikku, social outcast Nicodemus, and quiet guy Naim. As they try to discover the mystery behind the grey goo invading their school and changing the personalities of their classmates. Along the way, old flames are rediscovered, mysterious pasts are delved into, and somehow fairies get involved.
"Temporarily on hiatus" since 2014.
UC contains examples of:
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: After being defeated and before she completely fades away the demon possessing the minor character Jess threatens to rip up every tree, kill every baby, and delete the internet off of every computer in the world to get what she wants.
- Blood from the Mouth: After a group of bullies beat the living daylights out of Nicodemus, he begins to cough up blood. It’s just a result of his broken nose bleeding into his lungs.
- Drama Queen: Ikku lives and breathes drama. For her, if something can be complained about it should be complained about at the top of her lungs with waving arms for emphasis. At one point she even started complaning to the author that both she and Kelsi have the same color highlights.
- Dreaming of Times Gone By: All four main characters have repeated shared dreams of a ritual involving a candle and a mysterious figure yelling “What have you done!” There is no in comic explanation about these dreams yet, but it is strongly hinted that they are showing a ritual that occurred before the story began.
- Emotional Powers: Kelsi doesn’t seem to have any conscious control over her shorting out electronics power. Instead it activates every time she is surprised or embarrassed. Like when her fellow cast member thinks she’s dating her friend Nicodemus.
- Expelled from Every Other School: Why Nicodemus no longer defends himself from bullies.
- Everyone Is Bi: Nicodemus is confirmed in comic to have dated both genders. Author created art suggests that the rest of cast is also bi.
- Fantastically Indifferent: Nothing affects Naim, nothing. He can open his school locker to a room full of lava, and his only reaction is to open and close the locker door until his school books show back up.
- Gang of Bullies: Nicodemus is beaten up by a gang of three bullies, after one falsely accuses Nicodemus of flirting with his girlfriend.
- Initialism Title: UC stands for something, but the authors of the comic are keeping it a secret for now.
- Mr. Fanservice: Naim, tends to lose his shirt a lot, much to the fans delight.
- New Transfer Student: Kelsi is a transfer student from an as yet undisclosed location. Her parents wanted her to experience American high school, so she starts the comic by joining the high school of the three other main characters.
- Not Himself: When Naim begins to break his normally stoic attitude to talk to Ikku about her love life at great length, it's a sign that the world they have entered is messing with his head, and she better do something quick before he spirals out of her ability to control.
- Old Flame: Jacob is introduced as this to Nicodemus fairly early in the comic. There is no mention of why they broke up but if Ikku's reaction is anything to go by Jacob was the instigator. Nicodemus is very much not over him.
- Power Gives You Wings: Iku gains a pair of fairy wings, when she's fighting the demons possessing Jess in the other world. It’s not clear if this is her tapping into her true form, or an effect of the plane.
- Punch Catch: One of the grey possessed high school students easily catches Kelsi’s fist, at the beginning of their fight. Kelsi is understandably shocked, as a few comics earlier, she knocked down the same high school student, sans possession, with a single angry punch.
- School Play: Ikku is managing a school play on the Queen Killer Plot, and the rest of the cast is either acting in it or helping set up the set and props. It is suggested that the play might be a little more based in history than one would normally expect in a high school play about fairies.
- Shapeshifting Squick: This in inverted at one point, where a shapeshifting demon tries to find something that will turn Nicodemus on. Instead, he finds something that turns him inside-out.
- Swapped Roles: Kelsi thinks that the reason Nicodemus is bullied is because of the clothes he wears and in her words that he is an “Angst-Filled Sock Monkey”. Nicodemus thinks that she doesn’t understand him and wouldn’t last a single day in his shoes. They decide to switch clothing styles for a day and see which one is right. By the end of the day, they are both declaring the other the victor.
- The Quiet One: Naim, has a reputation for being closed mouthed to the point of absurdity. It’s so bad that the only way Ikku even found out his name was by breaking into the school records.
- Walking Tech Bane: Every time Kelsi gets majorly surprised or scared, some electronic around her shorts out. Also, the minor character, Jess, managed to delete the entire internet from her computer.