Beaver and Steve is a dada webcomic by James Turner. It revolves around the unfeasible adventures of an Odd Couple consisting of a quiet, polite beaver and a psychotic
lizard dinosaur reptile thingie with a knack for Mad Science. A must read for everybody who wants to verify how much Surreal Humor his/her forebrain can take before trying to run to safety.
Currently on an indefinite hiatus since Turner is working on other projects, it amounts to 346 strips.
This comic provides examples of:
- Arch-Enemy: The Shoe Goblin, as far as the comic's flimsy continuity can allow it.
- Brick Jokes: a lot of them. Used nearly all the time.
- Dying Declaration of Hate: Steve delivered one to Beaver when the two were trapped in an alleyway with monsters and it looked like they were going to die.
- Emotion Chip: Parodied with Emotibot, the robot programmed to feel emotions. And make toast.
- "Fantastic Voyage" Plot: A novel approach.
- Fully Absorbed Finale: Possibly a joke. We certainly hope it is. Either way, it's clearly a parody of the trope, what with creating a new comic, for the sole purpose of ending an old one.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners
- Let's Meet the Meat: only in this case it's a vegetable.
- No Fourth Wall: The author, on the 100th strip for example.
- Order Versus Chaos: Beaver and Steve, respectively.
- Panda-ing to the Audience: Averted. Pandas are not very nice in this comic. Steve in particular bears a grudge against them.
- Robo Speak: Emotibot, of course.Emotibot: Informal non-gender specific greetings!
- Time Travel: Lots, with at least a Time Crash.
- Unsound Effect