Abe & Kroenen is a Fan Web Comic and Toy Comic based (rather loosely) on the Hellboy movie. As the title suggests, it is about the romantic relationship between evil undead clockwork Nazi assassin Karl Ruprecht Kroenen and the psychic government agent fishman Abe Sapien.
The entire thing is rather silly, for obvious reasons, but seems to attract a surprising amount of fans. Guillermo del Toro himself has even claimed to be a fan...
Provides examples of:
- Back from the Dead: Rasputin.
- Bilingual Bonus: Mr. Wink, if you can decode runes.
- Butt-Monkey: Arthur Dent
- BrotherSister Incest: Nuala and Nuada. Everyone sees this as creepy.
- Camp Gay: Abe, mildly. It doesn't help his action figure has a "limp wrist" as default. Post-appearance of Nuala he seems to have been retconned to "Camp Bisexual".
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Kroenen horrifically mutilated his own face, due to his surgical addiction and depression. Abe greatly prefers it when he keeps his mask on.
- Cloning Blues: Rasputin cloned Hellboy, but the clone was mute and not much of a match for the real thing. We'll see how the Kroenen one fares...
- Crossover: So far we've had characters from V for Vendetta, Sin City, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Lord of the Rings, and Pirates of the Caribbean. Also Botanicus is played by a figure of the Giant Sized Man-Thing.
- Death by Origin Story: Kroenen's goldfish.
- Doomsday Device: A lot.
- Elephant in the Living Room: Kroenen's Nazism rarely really addressed, and Abe tries to ignore his history as an assassin and mass murder.
- Enemy Mine: Besides the literal example, Team Rasputin and the BPRD team up against the Ringwraiths.
- Giant Spider: Davy Jones' pet Starbuck.
- Has Two Mommies: At one point Abe proposes that they adopt a child. Kroenen lists off the many, many reasons that this would be a horrible idea given their species and allegiances."He vill not know whezer he is a Nazi or a fisch? And you cannot choose to be a fisch!"
- Interspecies Romance
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot
- Punch-Clock Villain: Kroenen, and later Samael,
- Replacement Goldfish: Very literally, as Kroenen's initial interest in Abe was caused by Abe reminding him of his childhood pet goldfish.
- Straight Gay: Kroenen
- Stalker with a Crush: Kroenen, after Rasputin dies, constantly shadows Abe under the excuse of protecting him. Which was itself an excuse to get into the BPRD and monitor their actions to look for a way to bring back Rasputin.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Kroenen, to Abe's constant annoyance.
- Suddenly Sexuality: Reversed, actually. Neither character had a defined sexuality (at least not before the second movie came out).
- Surrounded by Idiots: Rasputin complains of this, but it's more a case of Led By Idiot.