...Okay, none of that is actually true. Instead, Japanese Doctor Who is a 2014 short film by London-based filmmaker Joshua Kahan; a No Budget Affectionate Parody of Doctor Who and the Tokusatsu genre, the short — styled as a clip from an episode of the fictional adaptation — draws inspiration from shows such as Super Sentai, Kamen Rider X and, of course, Toei's Spider-Man.
The short can be watched here.
Japanese Doctor Who provides examples of the following tropes:
- Adaptational Badass: Rather than a Badass Pacifist like the Doctor traditionally is, Doctor Who is a much more martial character, willing to use both his fists and the Sonic Screw Sword to dispatch his foes.
- Bloodless Carnage: When struck by Doctor Who's attacks, the Cyber Men are knocked back before disappearing in flashes of light.
- Brown Note: When Doctor Who plays the Sonic Screw Sword, it apparently causes Dalekor significant pain.
- Composite Character: "Dalekor" is apparently a single individual rather than an entire species.
- The Greys: The Cyber Men, thanks to their costumes including alien Halloween masks.
- Improbable Weapon User: The Sonic Screw Sword is a giant screwdriver attached to the bottom half of a recorder.
- Machine Monotone: The Cyber Men. Dalekor also has a robotic filter over his voice, but is much more emotional and braggadocious.
- No Budget: Explicitly an aim of Kahan, who sought to create the film with as little money as possible, which helps to replicate the aesthetics of 1980s Doctor Who and tokusatsu.
- Off-the-Shelf FX: Dalekor's costume is primarily made of a plastic trash bin, and the Cyber Men wear grey alien masks. Doctor Who's suit, possibly the most expensive part of the production, cost £30.
- Pokémon Speak: The Cyber Men only repeat "cyber..." over and over. When running into battle they shout "cycycycycycycycy...".
- The entire concept of a Japanese tokusatsu adaptation of a Western show is an allusion to Spider-Man (Japan).
- Doctor Who's white disco suit and Nice Hat seem to be designed after Big One's distinctive civilian dress.
- The plain black bodysuits of the Cyber Men evoke the Shocker combatmen.
- Doctor Who's Sonic Screw Sword can be played as a flute, similar to the Zyusouken/Dragon Dagger.