"Of course, duh."
"How about drawing?"
Draw With Me is an animated short made by Mikeinel set to a short-edit of Otsuka Ai's song Cherish. It's about a girl and a boy separated by an unbreakable glass, and is considered one of the saddest original works on YouTube.
It can be found on YouTube here, and on DeviantArt here. It also has several supplemental works, including color roughs, a Making Of, a very sad wallpaper, a preview comic, a very depressing direct followup (spoilers!), and a slightly happier distant finale (spoilers!!), another less-happy distant universe expansion after that here and finally a much happier sequel.
It can also be downloaded here.
This animation has examples of:
- All There in the Manual: The extras above are mostly just things to make you cry yet again, but the Easter Egg in the video for "Who" tells you many important things, like why they couldn't just use a ladder. Living things have a tendency to die when they pass over the wall.
- Beautiful Void: The setting.
- Cat Girl: The look of the girl in this, and the boy appears to have a wolf tail.
- Couldn't Find a Pen: The use of coal on the wall.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Long-distance relationship seems to be an influence on the themes, and anyone who has little contact with the one they love will tell you that it hits a little too hard. The ending also alludes to organ transplantation such as kidney transfers or stem cell donations for loved ones.
- Exposed to the Elements: If that really is snow, these two are most certainly underdressed for it, especially the girl.
- Hope Spot: When the boy punches through the glass, which then instantly reforms, shredding the boy's arm and many crucial tendons in his drawing hand.
- No Name Given: Both our main characters are this. However, on Mikeinel's facebook page, he calls the boy Zefyr and the girl Lilian.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: The color scheme, anyway.
- The Power of Love: What compels the boy to try to break through the glass.
- Snow Means Love: Well, at least the firefly-like things look like snow.
- The Voiceless: Because sound can't reach across the wall.
- Wham Line: "It feels cold." It's after this line that everything starts progressively turning into a heap of emotion for both the characters and the viewers.
- Window Love: Or rather, wall love. The principle's the same.