That line suggests that something has happened to the apocalypse itself. And here's the wild guess: in the future of our timeline, the world has suffered a terrible war, with no hope of recovering. However, that future had time travel technology, so it was decided that the only way out was to go back in time and prevent the war. Investigations revealed that the first events that would eventually lead to the war happened in the 1980s, so Colonel Sloan was sent back to the 1980s to prevent them from happening. He did, and the plan worked. The apocalypse had an apocalypse (=it was prevented).
However, Sloan was already evil, so he proceeded to use future technology to make further changes to the timeline. He introduced the world to a lot of future technology that was not meant to appear for decades or even centuries, and used it to turn the Cold War into an actual war. Still, the world eventually recovered thanks to that very future technology, and by 2007 it evolved into what we see in the game.
- As a corollary: we will see those events in a game that will be both a Far Cry sequel and a Blood Dragon prequel.
- If Watch_Dogs, which, like Far Cry, also takes place in the Assassin's Creed universe, is to be believed, then Blood Dragon is a game within a game, as an arcade cabinet bearing it's name can be found.
- However, Word of God says that Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed are not set in the same universe.
- Judging by Trials of the Blood Dragon, the Blood Dragon series is an in-universe film franchise, with Trials being the kids-marketed cartoon starring Spin Offsprings.
- Confirmed by Far Cry 5. One of the side quests has The Deputy visit the set of Blood Dragon 3 and clear out the area of noise for the film's Prima Donna Director and later help finish the film.
- Or DLC for Watch_Dogs 2.
- Confirmed. Trials of the Blood Dragon is a continuation of the story, but using Trials gameplay instead.
The invasion will apparently be led by a revived Spider, wearing a cape to underline his new status as leader of the machines. However, this will be a bluff, and he will be revealed to be just an anthropomorphic machine wearing Spider's skin.The result of the invasion will be an even crazier place than what you see in Blood Dragon, which will include giant Sand Worm-like robots, all glowing in magenta, with black circuit lines. The VHS-like glitches will be revealed to be actually part of the game world, as side effects of the timeline tearing itself apart.
You will play as Rex Colt again, you will be able to choose which faction to fight for (humans, to keep our timeline, or machines, to keep the Blood Dragon timeline) and you will repeatedly phase shift from one timeline to the other, depending on which faction is winning at the moment.
Trivia: this guess came to this troper in a dream, and it was So Cool, It's Awesome.