It takes place in October of 1966 where a Fermi 1 Nuclear Power Generator lab accident occurs in a nuclear plant under Lake Erie and locals begin vanishing. Investigative reporter Oliver Victor is called to the scene to investigate these strange disappearances but quickly realizes he's trapped himself in an abandoned underground facility hunted down by the complex's hostile mutations.
Erie shows examples of:
- Arc Symbol: Black cats.
- Air-Vent Passageway: And thanks the lord for them.
- Featureless Protagonist: Also counting as a Silent Protagonist, all that is known about Oliver is that he's a Red Cross investigator.
- Hell Is That Noise: Unlike most horror games, when the monster is chasing no musical cues occur. All you hear is its eerie and strained shrieks. The creepy pained yells of a dying cat in the background can also confuse gamers.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Oliver tries to kill the remaining monsters in cryogenic suspension by shutting off their life support; this just ends up waking them all up instead.
- Pun-Based Title: The game takes place under Lake Erie, which is a homophone to "eerie", which means strange or frightening, a perfect description of this game.
- Was Once a Man: The collectible notes heavily imply the creature is a former human test subject who was mutated as part of some seriously nasty government experiments.