Cooking Mama: Mama Kills Animals is a short online Flash game by the animal rights group PETA. As the name implies, it's a parody of the Majesco video game series Cooking Mama.
The game has two levels. The first one has Mama cooking a turkey while the bonus level "Mama Loves Animals!" has the now-vegan Mama cooking tofurkey (a turkey made with tofu).
Cooking Mama: Mama Kills Animals is particularly infamous amongst PETA's many parody games. It's very bloody despite the original series being a very tame Casual Video Game about cooking. The parody was made with the intent of provoking a vegan-friendly version of Cooking Mama without the animal product-related recipes. Such a thing didn't occur. Instead, Majesco issued a Take That! and used the game as free publicity in an official statement.
This game provides examples of:
- Adaptational Ugliness: Mama has Messy Hair and bags under her eyes. Her clothes are also blood-splattered. She cleans up her look and changes her outfit after going vegan.
- Adaptational Villainy: Mama in the actual games is a sweet woman who enjoys teaching others to cook. In Cooking Mama: Mama Kills Animals she's evil and cruel, because she's a chef.
- And Knowing Is Half the Battle: The game features "What Mama Never Told You" sections that discuss the conditions on turkey farms. It also features graphic videos of turkey farms abusing animals.
- Assholes Got A Point: About a decade later, Cooking Mama: Cookstar released with a vegetarian mode, but the game became controversial for a completely different reason.
- Author Tract: Like all PETA parody games the message is "You should be vegan".
- Bad People Abuse Animals: The turkey was already dead, but Mama is still presented as an evil murderer nevertheless. After going vegan she's shown happily hugging a turkey.
- Bloodier and Gorier: Mama is cooking a full turkey. Everything is portrayed gorier (and more unsanitary) than it normally would be in real life, never mind in a bloodless series like Cooking Mama. Even the eggs are bloody when they're cracked open.
- Dark Parody: Mama is depicted as a bloody animal abuser.
- Gross-Out Show: The game makes cooking turkeys as unappealing as possible in order to invoke an anti-poultry message.
- HeelFace Turn: It's never mentioned why, but halfway through the game Mama turns from an evil non-vegetarian to a sweethearted vegan.
- Mood Whiplash: Halfway through, it turns from a game where you make and cook a grotesque turkey meal into a game where you make a tofurky (a turkey style food made from tofu).