Prior to the 1970s, Dubai was a small town with perhaps 60,000 people. After the formation of the United Arab Emirates, and the discovery of oil, development picked up with remarkable speed. A Boom Town and a half, it now possesses the tallest building on the planet (not finished internally), the
Burj Dubai Burj Khalifa, which is 828 metres (2,717 feet) tall, along with the Burj Al-Arab (a sail-shaped, self-proclaimed 7-star hotel), the Palm Islands (three massive, palm-shaped artificial islands), and The World (similar to the Palm Islands, but the archipelago is in the shape of Earth's continents, and is nine kilometers wide). The city has become a playground and Mecca for the rich and well-connected, with ultra-luxury shopping, expensive attractions, supercars and luxury vehicles clogging the roads, yachts and catamarans docked at the marinas, and exclusive apartment towers shooting up everywhere.
While New York City is known as "The City That Doesn't Sleep", Dubai is also a city that's bustling 24/7, with many shops remaining open till the wee hours, and the streets never really clear of cars. Always movement in Dubai. Development still continues, though it's at a slower pace. Obviously.
Some of us would like to know whose idea it was to build an area of a huge shopping mall with 300 jewelry shops. Must be stiff competition.
Dubai in fiction:
- Features in the Iraq War drama Occupation.
- The game Escape From St. Mary's is set in a Dubai Catholic school.
- Spec Ops: The Line takes place in Dubai after the city is destroyed by a series of disastrous sandstorms. It was then promptly banned there because it implied some unpleasant things about UAE leadership.
- Ace Combat: Assault Horizon features a mission in Dubai.
- Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol set the second quarter of the plot (and 90% of the trailers) inside (and just outside) the Burj Khalifa.
- The "Hotel Oasis" in Modern Warfare 3 is pretty much ripped straight from the Burj Al Arab.
- The Leverage episode "The Queen's Gambit Job" takes place during a chess tournament at the Burj Khalifa.
- City of Life is an Emirati film set in Dubai.
- The Calvin and Hobbes: The Series episode "Dubai" centers around Calvin and company traveling to Dubai to get a bank loan for Sherman. The main emphasis is more on the Scenery Porn, though.
- An alien-run nonhuman/monster girl Sex Slave ring takes place in Dubai in How To Raise Your Teenage Dragon.
- The Action Prologue of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is in Dubai.