- Awesome, Dear Boy: Neal McDonough said that, after playing Buck Compton in Band of Brothers, this was his favourite role.
- Hey, It's That Place!: DG's house in the real world is the same house used by Zelena in Storybrooke during Once Upon a Time's third season.
- Playing Gertrude: Anna Galvin is only three years older than Kathleen Robinson, who plays her daughter. It is possible that being in Azkadelia's prison could have kept her from ageing, but Azkadelia doesn't seem to have been in power for that long.
- Promoted Fanboy: Zoey Deschanel was a huge fan of the original film and had wanted to play Dorothy for most of her life. She said that Dorothy had been her favourite character since she was two.
- Retroactive Recognition: If you can see past the mustache and bowler hat, you might notice Cain is "Dum Dum" Dugan!
- Separated-at-Birth Casting: Zoey Deschanel and Kathleen Robertson certainly look like they could be sisters in real life. Likewise Rachel Pattee who plays DG as a child, has a striking resemblance to Deschanel.
- What Could Have Been:
- The story was originally going to have the Tin Man as the protagonist and be more about the police in the Emerald City, hence the title. It was then retooled into a re-imagining of the original story. The creators couldn't think of a better name, which is the reason for the Artifact Title.
- Apparently original plans included a romance between DG and Cain. Whether this is due to Neal McDonoughnote or creators realising the Squick of the age difference is unknown - but DG and Cain remains an Intergenerational Friendship in the final thing.
Trivia / Tin Man