- All-Star Cast: Besides Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward, the film has a number of noteworthy actors in major or minor roles such as Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton and Harvey Keitel.
- California Doubling: Averted for a good part of the movie; set in a New England town, a lot of the action was filmed at Yawgoog Scout Reservation, a Boy Scout camp in Rhode Island.
- Production Posse: Bill Murray and Jason Schwartzman have supporting roles. Roman Coppola gets co-writing credit. This was the first posse appearance for Harvey Keitel and Edward Norton, but both would appear in Wes Anderson's next film, The Grand Budapest Hotel.
- Real-Life Relative: Bill Murray's son Cooper played the Indian Chief Khaki Scout.
- What Could Have Been: Jeremy Irons and Alan Rickman were considered for and offered the role of Social Services.
- Write What You Know:
- When he was 12, Wes Anderson lived in Texas with two brothers. His parents were separating, and influenced his later depictions of crumbling marriages. He was briefly a Scout, and had acted in a play about Noah's Ark. A childhood incident inspired the scene where Suzy reveals her parents' book Coping with the Very Troubled Child. He found a similarly titled book belonging to his father and remarked, "I immediately knew who that troubled child was."
- Roman Coppola drew on memories of his mother Eleanor in giving Mrs. Bishop a bullhorn to communicate inside the house.
Trivia / Moonrise Kingdom