- Box Office Bomb: Along with being the worst reviewed in the series, the film's poor word of mouth caused it to gross significantly less than any of its predecessors. While the movie did well overseas, with a worldwide total gross of $407,727,743 worldwide, its ultimate domestic gross was only $64,063,008 against a budget of $105 million. It doesn't help matters that the film also came out during the same weekend as Star Trek Beyond and suffered competition with the animated Sleeper Hit The Secret Life of Pets.
- Franchise Killer: The film's poor reception made it the last Ice Age installment to be released in theatres. The franchise remained dead and buried for just short of five years before the announcement of The Ice Age Adventures of Buck Wild, though this is a Disney+ exclusive film rather than a theatrical release.
- Magnum Opus Dissonance: Many interviews with the cast members and quoted reviews in TV Spots cite the film as "the best Ice Age movie ever". The film was actually panned upon its release by both critics and audiences, with many citing it as a sign that the franchise had officially overstayed its welcome.
- Milestone Celebration:
- The film came out 10 years after the franchise's first sequel.
- Coincidentally, the film was also released on John Leguizamo's 52nd birthday.
- The Other Darrin: Non-acting example: John Debney replaced John Powell (who composed the score for the first three sequels replacing David Newman) to compose the score for the fifth film.
- Star-Derailing Role: Somewhat to Denis Leary, at least in regards to his film career. Throughout the 00's, Leary had focused mainly on Rescue Me and the Ice Age films as far as his acting career went. Once Rescue Me ended, however, Leary tried to return to movies with a supporting role in The Amazing Spider-Man as well as Ice Age: Continental Drift. While both movies did well financially, he followed it up with The Amazing Spider-Man 2, which underperformed, and Draft Day, which bombed, in the same year. He then acted in Freaks of Nature, which was only dumped in a few theaters, and this movie. After this movie's underperformance at the box office, he hasn't been in a movie since, and has focused more on TV, though he hasn't had any major successes there either.
Trivia / Ice Age: Collision Course