Wandering Heroes of Ogre Gate is a Wuxia tabletop role-playing game by Bedrock Games, released as a Pay-What-You-Want PDF in 2016. It is a spinoff of a previous game, Sertorius, set in a fantasy world strongly resembling Imperial China (specifically, the Southern Song Dynasty) called Qi Xien. It is particularly notable for having a very long list (over 180 separate entries) of Kung Fu Techniques that has been released into the public domain.
This tabletop RPG provides examples of:
- Battle Couple: Bao and Sunan (pictured on the cover), lovers from ancient history and the creators of Kung Fu.
- Big Bad: Emperor Zhan, the Glorious Emperor, can be seen as this.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Often the case with the Yao, martial heroes who've had their hearts ripped out and replaced with a stone. It's explicit they're missing bits of their soul that allow both self-control and self-determination, leaving them immortal Ax-Crazy undead who cannot conceive of disloyalty.
- Cycle of Revenge: Quite literally a game mechanic in the "Grudge" subsystem.
- The Empire: The Zhan Dao Empire. Somewhat of a subversion in that throughout its long history it had many less militaristic rulers, though the current regime is as despotic as they come.
- Evil Chancellor: A textbook double-subversion in Cai Yuanyu, the Emperor's "right-hand man"; he's actually faultlessly loyal, but as it turns out the Emperor is an Evil Overlord to begin with, and Cai encouraged his slide.
- Evil Overlord: Two examples. The first is Yao-Feng, an ancient sorcerer and once-ruler of Yao Gong Palace (also known as Ogre Gate). The other is the Glorious Emperor, who promotes worship of Yao-Feng as "the Bold King" throughout the Zhan Dao Empire.
- Greater-Scope Villain: Yao-Feng, the Demon Emperor.
- Arguably subverted by Li Fan, which is generally more hellish due to being overrun with supernatural monsters and being close to Yao Gong Palace, the former headquarters of the Demon Emperor also known as Ogre Gate. They're... largely normal people, who are invading mostly to get away from it, and if Emperor Zhan wasn't such a bloodthirsty warhawk, the war with them would likely have ended by now. Their ruler is explicitly an Anti-Villain who hates slavery and mistreating women.
- Master Swordsman: Many, many, many characters — including players, if they so choose.
- Supernatural Martial Arts: A primary focus of the game, though some Techniques are more subtle than others. They are distributed into four categories: Waijia, Neigong, Qinggong, and Dianxue.
- Wicked Pretentious: Cai Yuanyu is explicitly someone who represents himself as a cultured aristocrat, but he despises poetry and art, not having seen a point in learning them instead of purely practical skills. More than one person has insulted him to his face using references to literature that fly over his head.