- At one point, Kilgrave tells a police officer "We can go about our business. Move along. Move along." Jessica promptly lampshades his Jedi Mind Trick by calling him "Obi-Wan Kenobi."
- The first episode has Jessica threaten a scumbag with her "laser eyes." This is, of course, a reference to the original Flying Brick, Superman, whose earliest incarnation had identical powers to Jessica.
- While sleuthing in a hospital, Jessica tells a nurse that she has just transferred from Seattle Grace Hospital, and now she is in the ER working for Dr. Carter. Interestingly, the doctor she is talking to asks "like on TV?" when Jessica mentions Seattle Grace.
- Ruben says that "everyone's a little racist".
- The dogs in "AKA You're a Winner" are named Meyers and Krueger.
- At one point, Jessica tells Kilgrave, "You're not 10 anymore." David Tennant played the Tenth Doctor.
- In episode 2, Jessica is being interviewed in the police station by Detective Clemons, played by Clarke Peters. Jessica says she's going to Pennsylvania because of the antiques, to which Clemons says he likes them, too. Clarke Peters played Lester Freamon in The Wire, who built dollhouse furniture while on the job.
- In the final episode, the yacht Kilgrave plans to escape on is named Goldfish. Showrunner Brian Michael Bendis worked on a crime series called Goldfish early in his career.
- Kilgrave mentions as an example of unintended results from his commands the time he told a man to "go screw yourself". Jesse Custer did the exact same thing in Preacher, albeit with less polite wording.
- An in-universe example in the finale. When "Jessica" is revealed to be Trish in disguise, Kilgrave annoyedly exclaims "Oh, for heaven's sake, It's Patsy!". "It's Patsy" was the name of the Show Within a Show Trish was in as a young teenager.
- In "AKA I Want Your Cray Cray", part of the opening Oner of Touch of Evil is shown at the outdoor theatre that Jessica and Trish visit.
- Jessica wears "rebel rock" t-shirts throughout the series, including Alice in Chains, Interpol and Nirvana.
Shout Out / Jessica Jones (2015)