Chief Kim is a 2017 Korean Drama about an small-time crooked accountant Kim Sung-Ryong who initially sets out to bilk a corrupt company of its funds and then flee to Denmark with his spoils. However, once he joins TQ Corporation, he inadvertently finds himself saving the company, making friends and fighting for the basic human rights of employees. It aired on South Korea's KBS network.
The drama stars Namgoong Min as Chief Kim Sung-Ryong, Lee Junho as Seo Yul, Nam Sang-Mi as Yoon Ha-Kyung and Jung Hye-Sung as Hong Ga-Eun.
Now has a Character Sheet that could use some love!
This series provides examples of:
- Adorkable: Chief Kim himself.
- Ambiguously Evil: Nobody knows what Seo Yul's intentions are, not even Chairman Park who assumes that Yul is on his side.
- Big Bad: Chairman Park. His main goal is to gain complete control over TQ in anyway possible.
- Big Eater: Seo Yul is eating in nearly every scene he is in and does not like to share.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Seo Yul. We never see him in anything other than impeccably tailored suits.
- Being Evil Sucks: Despite all his success at TQ, Yul leads a lonely life and has a lot of enemies.
- Brainy Brunette: Ha-Kyung and Ga-Eun in particular but all of the women on this show are intelligent and crafty.
- Cute, but Cacophonic: Gwang Sook. But her actual voice when she is upset or serious is much deeper and adult.
- Chaste Hero: Chief Kim. With hints of being Asexual. He completely ignores the girls who flock to him and thinks porn is boring.
- Clark Kent Outfit: Beneath his jackets and ties, Kim Sung-Ryong is shown to have a muscular, sculpted body.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Chairman Park, Executive Director Jo and Director Go count as they seem to be working hand in hand to ruin TQ Group.
- Drama Queen: Chief Kim has displayed shades of this. His interview with TQ Group has him breaking into song to ace the interview.
- Girl Friday: Ga-Eun and Gwang Sook will go along with Chief Kim's schemes always, no questions asked.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: When Kim Sung-Ryong is given a huge monetary bribe, a good angel and a bad angel (who both look like Kwang Sook) try to appeal to his heroic side and mercenary side.
- FaceHeel Turn: Seo Yul was an honest prosecutor disillusioned with corruption in the Prosecutor's office, so he joins TQ to help cover its issues and earn riches. His gradual HeelFace Turn process is one main plots in the drama.
- Implausible Hair Color: Kim Sung-Ryong's light brown hair.
- Morality Pet: Ha-Kyung to Yul.
- Named After Someone Famous:Kim Sung-Ryong likes to tell people he was named after a virtuous Korean scholar but in reality, he was named for Jackie Chan's Korean name because his dad was a huge fan.
- Non-Idle Rich: Intially averted and then played straight with Myung-Seok.
- Plucky Girl: Yoon Ha-Kyung. She always tries to do what is right and is optimistic that good can win over evil.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: CEO Jang. Though her authority is somewhat subverted by Chairman Park, she still tries to help anyway she can.
- Shipper on Deck: The cleaning lady, Mrs.Uhm and Gwang Sook for Ha-Kyung and Sung-Ryong.
- Ship Tease: Seo Yul and Ha Kyung. Yul has a crush on Ha Kyung and throughout the drama, both of them share quite a few moments, from eating out together to saving each other respectively.
- Team Dad: Manager Choo. He cares deeply for everybody in Business Operations, especially the younger employees, even is he scolds them or is gruff towards them.
- The Atoner: Seo Yul. After his HeelFace Turn, he resigns from his position and becomes a public defender.
- The Infiltration: Ga-Eun joins TQ undercover as an Accounting Intern to find dirt on the company. She's actually a part of the Prosecutor's Office.
- The Sociopath: Chairman Park thinks nothing of ordering employees to be killed or hurt. He only cares about money.
- Undying Loyalty: Gwang Sook to Chief Kim. When Gwang Sook needs a place to stay, Chief Kim is the person she first comes to.
- Upper-Class Twit: Park Myung-Suk. He knows nothing about how the company works and spends most of his time partying and spending money recklessly. Averted as of Episode 16.
- Villainous Crush: Yul's attraction towards Yoon Ha-Kyung could be seen this way.