Jaune Arc is twelve years old and has just been shamed, after showing that he has no talent whatsoever to become a Hunter. Running away from his peers and his family, he stumbles upon a knight in silver armor, who proceeds to casually kidnap him, telling him he will become his squire. Jaune quickly learns that he is Richard Avedon, member of an infamously dangerous clan, even in the world of Remnant. After many close calls and nearly dying a few times, Jaune finds himself inextricably bound to the Avedons.
Thus begin his struggles to survive and become a true knight, like he'd always dreamed he would. Well, if he survives, that is.
The Quest provides examples of following tropes:
- The Ace: Sarah used to be this, an incredibly talented and charismatic person, before her Trait made it all wrong. Her family's subsequent efforts to stop her resulted in her becoming a Broken Ace.
- Anti-Climax Boss: The first Deathwing the Quest encountered, better known as 'DerpWing the Dragon', it rolled more natural ones than should have been statistically possible.
- Badass Creed: "We are the Sword and Shield of Man, Forged from the Darkness, to Fight the Darkness. We are the Bulwark against the Dark, the Blade that is its Bane. Deeper than Hatred, our Loathing Lies, for with Will Stronger than Sorrow, the Price of Power we have Paid, so that our Vigil may be True, that the Limits of Man be Surpassed, and our Feats be Beyond Legend. For Man We Fight, For Man We Die, and unto Death shall we serve, for only when the World is Cleansed, may we Truly Rest."
- Blessed with Suck / Cursed with Awesome: The Avedons, who are given power beyond what most humans could ever hope to achieve, at the cost of cutting their lifespan to not even a fourth of what's natural for them and gaining monstrous 'Traits' which cause their personalities to be caustic at best, monstrous at worst.
- Cool Bike: Richard owns a bike that's relatively impressive, but it PALES in comparison to Surtr, Sarah's, and now Jaune's, personal monster of a motorcycle, which tears apart the land where ever it goes.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Crim is a silent killer through and through. He is not so much as 'evil' as he is 'emotionally stunted'.
- The Dreaded: Deathwings are considered a big enough threat for a city to send six dozen Hunters to fight it. The frightening part is that they thought that they still wouldn't be enough.
- Gondor Calls for Aid: A Meta example. The questers managed to, in what was a historic moment for the forum, gather 200+ voters from the its various threads, and its sister site Sufficient Velocity, and cause a complete derail of the GM's plans, all in the name of a love interest and the GM's salty tears.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: Richard, so much so that many assume he has no heart at all, there is only more jerk.
- Light Is Not Good: Richard. Dressed like a knight from a Fairly Tale and uses Soulfire for his attacks. Still a dick.
- Mad Scientist: Maria. One of the most notable things she does is take a young orphan, Lisa, and operate on her to make her a half-Grimm hybrid, all for the sake of science.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: No one can deny Jeremiah's ability to rock his suit and hats.
- Took a Level in Badass: Jaune, and on a meta level, the Questers themselves, mostly because of the Gondor Calls for Aid incident above.
- Training from Hell: If the title isn't your first clue. It gets even worse though.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Or, at least, dysfunctionality. This is the Avedons' hat, with pre-lobotomization Sarah being the prime example.
- Your Approval Fills Me with Shame: The First fight of the long awaited tournament... And Jaune blows out someone's innards with a Infused shot from Chandru. More accurately, the shot tore through his stomach, lungs, and then somehow ricocheted to split the guy's spine in half. Richard Approved.Richard: "Good job! The git probably deserved it!"His approval fills you with shame.