Rumia Quest is an ongoing forum 'Quest' Roleplay on the Maidens of the Kaleidoscope Forums, which explores the background of the character Rumia, and develops from there, as players put in input.
Rumia Quest 1: Hatate Himekaidou, who stole a tome with Remilia's secrets in from Marisa, who had stolen it herself, with intent to publish it.
Rumia Quest 2: Shinki, who wanted Alice back
Rumia Quest 3: Rika, on a rampage to exterminate all youkai.
Rumia Quest 4: Watatsuki no Yorihime and Watatsuki no Toyohime, who's objective was to get Kaguya back to the moon.
Rumia Quest 5: Yumemi Okazaki, on a mission to restore magic to her world, drains magic from Makai, the Moon, Gensokyo, and other realms, putting them at possible peril of losing their own magic.
The side quest, Mystia Quest, was set in-between Rumia Quest 3 and 4, and focuses on Mystica running a lamprey stand, and fleshes out certain developments and characters.
[Rumia Quest] contains examples of:
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Alice gives Shinki one to finally get through to her she's staying in Gensokyo.
- Ax-Crazy: Rumia's 'True' self, a being of chaos born from the very heart of Makai, without Shinki making her, with the sole purpose of slaughter.
- Battle in the Centre of the Mind: When Rumia is knocked out by Rika in Rumia Quest 4, she has to face her 'past' self for dominance, and wins, regaining her powers.
- Big Bad: Rika is constantly involved in trouble, and even after her initial defeat wants to exterminate all youkai, especially Rumia, to the degree she will not allow anyone but herself to kill Rumia
- Big Good: Byakuren Hijiri.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Kogasa usually does this. When Rumia thinks of something fourth-wall breaking, she usually thinks of what Kogasa would say in this situation.
- Call-Back: Loads of them, with many PC-98 characters re-appearing. One notable example is Mai only goes all out once Yuki is defeated.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Kogasa, frequently spinning around happily reminding people that she doesn't do x because she's an umbrella.
- Rumia herself was one
- Cirno and Utusho
- Continuity Nod: The Makai Route cast of HRTP are only recognized by Reimu. Many PC-98 characters fail to recognize Reimu without her purple hair or Genji.
- Rika makes Evil Eye Sigma II, because the first one was destroyed in the Extra Stage of So EW.
- Canon: Rumia Quest's basis is canon, specifically, from the point where Ten Desires ends
- Dark Is Not Evil: The hero is Rumia, the Youkai of DARKNESS.
- Easter Egg: Rumia's Arch Rival is Rika. Rika is the first boss of a danmaku shooter in the PC-98 era. Rumia is the first boss of the Windows Era.
- Get Ahold Of Yourself Man: Reisen, Satori and Koishi unite their powers to cure Flandre of her insanity.
- Grey and Grey Morality: Aside from Rika, each major vilian has had some justification for their actions. Hatate just wanted to compete with Aya, Shinki thought Alice has been stolen from her, The Watasukis were attempting to maintain their Political Structure, and Yumemi was attempting to to reverse the effects of Science Destroys Magic. Meanwhile Rumia has done several underhanded tactics before, such as sneaking on the moon and exploding Kaguya in front of thousands, causing a Succession Crisis.
- Five-Man Band:
- Going Critical: Evil Eye Omega almost caused a massive nuclear explosion, if not for Rumia.
- Sunny Milk almost made the Kappa Reactor go critical by accident, when she misunderstood a letter which was mis-sent to her by Utusho, by making it invisible so the Kappa couldn't work on it.
- Here There Were Sprites: Sprites that didn't make it to Gensokyo died permanently due to the death of magic in the outside world, since they were the first to feel the effects, most of them didn't make it, with Lilly being the only known Sprite in Gensokyo before Cirno and Daiyousei became Sprites themselves.
- Humongous Mecha: Evil Eye Omega
- Fanon: Since it's based in the Touhou Universe, with Touhou characters, Fanon has a large effect.
- Leitmotif: Usually, when a combat situation starts, it's signaled by a remix of the character's theme being posted. Sometimes other situations of high intensity get themes too.
- Mad Scientist: Rika.
- Magitek: The Kappa love this, and are developing Magitek with the assistance of a nuclear reactor they made with Utusho's help. Rika also uses Magitek.
- Moral Event Horizon: Skirted dangerously close several times, and crossed a few:
- Rumia holding Chiyuri hostage as a human sheild against Yumemi, threatening to kill her.
- Shinki deciding to destroy Gensokyo if Alice will not return, and threaten to 'make her want to come home', implying Brainwashing her.
- Rika has gone long past it
- Yumemi was going more damage than she thought she was, but was intentionally attempting to not cross the horizon, although she did make several stong threats, such as sucking Gensokyo dry of magic.
- The Watatsukis didn't care about Kaguya, and were willing to crush anyone in their way.
- Post-Historical Trauma: Why Flandre was insane, Remilia didn't see her parents be slaughtered before she was bitten, the younger Flandre did.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Yumeko and Sakuya. Both are maids for one seen as a devil. Both specialise in throwing bladed weapons in large quanities. Sakuya's powers are based on time manipulation, and Yumeko's are based on Space.
- Running Gag: Somewhere Kogasa is....
- Our Fairies Are Different: If a fairy gets strong enough, and devotes themselves to something enough, they undergo a process which changes them into a stronger, less child-like being known as a Sprite, which amplifies their key traits. Lilly White was already one, and her love of spring was amplified. Cirno became stronger and even dumber, and Daiyousei, after studying magic under Patchouli, became a Magician-Fairy, as well as smart enough to only be outsmarted by characters such as Eirin. This in itself is a Continuity Nod to what Shikieiki warned Cirno in Po FV, that if she continued she would cease to be a fairy.
- Pure Energy: Dark Energy is a mysterious, volatile energy, that can be formed into various things. Unlike Rumia's darkness, she dosen't have complete control over it, but it can actually hurt people. It's highly volatile. Seiga also uses it.
- Serial Killer: Before being sealed by Yukari, Rumia had killer her way to Shinki, even killing Yumemko (Shinki fixed her), and Reimu's Grandmother. It's implied she killed many more, enough to make Mai fearful at her name alone, and Shinki states she sent Rumia 'To many worlds, with the aim of killing those who are a threat to Makai'. No-one knows how many Rumia killed before Yukari sealed her.
- Surpassed the Teacher: Rumia, after regaining her powers fully, surpassed Seiga in use of Dark Energy. Of course, this was all Seiga's intention, so Rumia could teach her.
- Taoism: While learning about Dark Energy with Seiga in Senkai, Rumia learns some from Miko, Futo and Soga, as well as some basic Feng Shui from Futo.
- Victory Through Intimidation: Toyohime tried this with a swing of her fan, it didn't work. Likewise, Yumemi attempted this several times, in several ways, because she didn't want to fight
- With Us or Against Us: Rika's general attitude is that she's more than happy to kill youkai sympathizers, humans who side with Youkai, like Reimu, Marisa, and Sanae.