After being a nuisance at the funeral of Homer's Vegas wife, Amber, Bart visits a psychiatrist, who recommends a drum kit for Bart to vent out his extra energy. Meanwhile, Lisa loses the chance to jam with a local jazz band and begins collecting animals.
- Alliterative Name: The Denied Dream magazine.
- Bait-and-Switch Comment: When the jazz band talked to Lisa, they gave the impression they wanted her to join. They wanted Bart.
- Earlier in the episode, Amber's death started being explained with a mention of the sign warning people not to stand up at the roller coaster. The viewer thinks she died after standing up on a roller coaster, but she actually died of a drug overdose while standing in line to go on that roller coaster.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: When Bart was given a jazz nickname, Lisa moaned that she never had one. She was then nicknamed "Downbeat Simpson".
- CallBack: Homer's Vegas wife from "Viva Ned Flanders" and "Brawl in the Family"
- Career-Ending Injury: Bart's career as a drummer ends when a tiger bites his right arm.
- Creator Cameo: Matt Groening.
- Epic Fail: Homer, as a masked wrestler, lost to a skeleton.
- Instant Expert: Bart shows off the gene's he got from Homer by learning to play the drum masterfully in no time flat.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Lisa notes that Bart was supposed to be a jazz musician while she collected animals and laments that she never thought the two stories would intersect.
- Took A Level In Jerk Ass: Lisa does this by getting jealous of Bart's knack for drums.