After Toby returns from a camping trip (with Ryan) to which Michael was not invited, Michael decides to go on a "survival" mission of his own. Dwight tags along to keep him from dying. While Michael is away, Jim tries to streamline the office birthday parties.
Air Date: November 8, 2007
- Big "NO!": Dwight sees Michael about to eat (possibly poisonous) mushrooms.
- Camping Episode: Exactly What It Says on the Tin . Michael wants to go out and discover something about himself.
- Crazy-Prepared: Dwight has weapons stashed all over the office.
- No Kill Like Overkill: When Michael pretends he's being abducted by a serial killer, Dwight explains what he would do to Michael, stating people would call him the "Overkill Killer."
- Not So Different: Jim tries to be a different kind of manager than Michael. But he ends up taking residence in Michael's office, gets annoyed by Toby, initially tries to call an impromptu meeting in the conference room, and finds out that his way of handling a simple task (birthday planning) makes things unnecessarily complicated and troublesome. At one point, Phyllis even accidentally calls him "Michael."
- It's really hammered home in The Stinger, when Michael reveals that he actually once tried to do the exact same thing Jim did of organizing multiple birthdays into one big party. Jim remarks that he doesn't see himself at Dundler-Mifflin in 10 years, to which Michael says that's what he said back when he was in Jim's shoes.
- Reckless Gun Usage : Dwight watching Michael through the scope of a rifle. With the scope still attached to the rifle. With the safety off.
- Shout-Out: To Survivor Man.
- Surprise Party: Michael is a big believer in surprise parties, to the point that he'll jump out of a corner and scare the living daylights out of the staff.
- Tap on the Head: Played with. Dwight hits Michael with a shoe, pointing out that abducting him is easier if Michael is unconscious. All he succeeds in doing is making Michael yell.
- Written by Cast Member: The second of two episodes written by Steve Carell.