Gumball is banned from seeing Penny after her father thinks the entire Watterson family is dysfunctional, and Tobias swoops in to be Penny's project partner.
- Agony of the Feet: Patrick slams the door on Tobias's foot the second he sees him. Tobias asks to open the door so he can get it out, and Patrick locks it.
- Blunt "Yes":Patrick: Watterson, stay away from my car, and stay away from my daughter.
Penny: Can I say something here?
- Brick Joke: Gumball accidentally snaps the rear view mirror on Patrick's car off by leaning on it. At the end of the episode Patrick swerves his car to avoid hitting Penny, but then come so close to hitting Tobias that the same mirror glances his head and again falls off.
- Bullet Dancing: Tobias makes Gumball dance by jabbing a stick at his feet.
- Cock Fight: Tobias challenges Gumball to a duel over being Penny's partner by slapping him in the face with a glove. Gumball refuses, because he knows it's a stupid idea for several reasons, but eventually agrees just so Tobias will stop bothering them.Gumball: I don't want to duel. (Tobias slaps him again) Leave us alone. (slap) I'm not doing this.
(Tobias keeps slapping Gumball with the glove until we cut to Gumball and Tobias in homemade jousting gear)
Gumball: If I do this, you're gonna leave us alone, right?
Tobias: Only if you win. If you lose, Lady Penny is mine.
Penny: No, I'm not.
Gumball: Yeah, did you consider Penny's feeling in any of this?
Tobias: In time, she will learn to love me.
Penny: No, I won't.
- Comically Missing the Point: Tobias claims that to have watched all of the movies that were made (not set) in medieval times.
- A Day in the Limelight: For Patrick, Penny, and Tobias.
- Death Glare: Patrick stares at Gumball from his car so intensely that a spot on Gumball's head starts to smoke.
- Digging Yourself Deeper: Basically everything Gumball does toward Penny's dad just makes things worse. He starts by breaking off his rearview mirror, then sets off the airbag trying to get it back on.
- Diving Save: Gumball dives to get Penny out of the way of her dad's car.
- Hourglass Plot: The episode starts with Patrick immediately judging the Watterson family and forbidding Penny from going with them. At the end, the Wattersons judge Patrick harshly for crashing his car into their house and nearly hitting Gumball, with Nicole even telling him to stay away from her family.
- Immediate Self-Contradiction: Penny says that someone was calling their house at 4 a.m. and Gumball claims that it wasn't him, and that they had no reason to suspect him, because the phone was never picked up.
- Laser-Guided Karma: At the beginning of the episode Patrick sees the Watterson family and leaves without giving them a chance. At the end of the episode he crashes his car into the Watterson house and they're the ones tearing into him without letting him explain.
- Like Parent, Like Child: This episode was the first time Gumball showed he's like his mom if he wants something bad enough.
- Loophole Abuse: Penny knew her dad would never let her come over to Gumball's house. So she just asked her mom.
- Meet the In-Laws: Gumball meant to formally introduce Penny to his house and family during their school project, but his plans are so disastrous that her dad refuses to drop her off.
- Non-Verbal Miscommunication:Penny: I can't really talk right now.
(Penny points her thumb to her father's car behind her)
Gumball: ... are you trying to throw away your thumb or something?
- Not Helping Your Case: The best thing Gumball can say about himself to Patrick is "I'm not that bad!"
- Oven Logic: Gumball turns up the flame on the cookies Darwin is cooking, burning them instantly.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: After Tobias nearly gets hit by a car in the middle of his duel with Gumball, he gives up and runs off in shock.
- Throw the Book at Them: Penny throws her book at Tobias when he's fighting Gumball, but this distracts Gumball more than it hurts Tobias.
- You Can Talk?: Patrick makes the "talking muffin" joke at work.