Splinter and the Ancient One tell the Turtles the history of the original Shredder.
First appearance of the original Oroku Saki/Tengu Shredder
This episode provides examples of
- Bystander Syndrome: The Ninja Tribunal's opinion on Yoshi fighting against the Utrom Shredder. This is why Splinter has a grudge on them, blaming his master's death on them. The season finale reveals they didn't take action because otherwise the Utroms never would've relocated to New York and Turtles would never have mutated.
- Charles Atlas Super Power: The Ninja Tribunal eventually reached godhood in this manner.
- Deal with the Devil: How the original Oroku Saki gained his powers
- Dynamic Entry: The Ninja Tribual bust into the Tengu Shredder's throne room by jumping through the windows.
- Evil Former Friend: The original Oroku Saki to the Ninja Tribunal.
- Foreshadowing: Four warriors transforming into dragons to fight off the Tengu Shredder.
- I'm Standing Right Here: Mikey points out that the Turtles can hear everything Splinter and the Ancient One are saying about them, since they're all in the same room
- One-Winged Angel: The Tengu Shredder's dragon form. The Ninja Tribunal 's Dragon forms may also apply
- Origins Episode: For the Ninja Tribunal and the original Shredder.
- Single Tear: Splinter
- Took a Level in Badass: The Ninja Tribunal in the flashbacks. They went through extensive and prolonged training to be able to defeat the Shredder. According to the Ancient One, they went from mere humans to forces of nature.
- We Will Meet Again: The Tengu Shredder's final vow, as he's sealed away:"I will return! This world will be mine! You will pay for this! YOU WILL—!" [casket closed]
- Whole Episode Flashback: Splinter and the Ancient One tell the story to explain to the Turtles why the Ninja Tribunal rides them so hard.
- You Have Failed Me: The Shredder's Heralds do this to the kappa tengu for failing them in the last episode.Kappa: They fought like demons!
Mystic: But you are demons—demons who failed in your duty! The supreme master we have come to revive accepts no excuses and neither do we.