Next: Supernatural S 06 E 09 Clap Your Hands If You Believe
All Dogs Go To Heaven
Written by Adam Glass.
Directed by Phil Sgriccia.
Air Date: November 12, 2010.
Sam and Dean go on the hunt for a werewolf, and find something surprisingly similar: a skinwalker disguising himself as a family's dog. To protect the family, he's killing people threatening them, and it looks like werewolf kills. Sam and Dean discover the Alpha skinwalker's plan: create sleeper cells of his kind and turn them loose upon humanity. To find and stop the Alpha, the brothers need the skinwalker!dog's help.
Body Count:For this episode = 3 humans and 7 skinwalkers.
For the series so far = At least 431 humans (of which 6 were witches), 74 demons, 33 ghosts, 26 vampires, 19 zombies, 14 gods, 11 angels, 9 hellhounds, 7 skinwalkers, 6 changelings, 4 shapeshifters, 3 djinn, 2 ghouls, 2 werewolves, 2 dogs, 1 crocotta, 1 lamia, 1 okami, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 rugaru, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 wendigo, 1 whore of Babylon, and 1 wraith.
- The Alcoholic: Cal Garrigan.
- An Offer You Can't Refuse: Crowley makes it clear that the Winchesters refusing to work for him is not an option.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Lucky's family shows him more affection as a dog than anyone did as a human, so he grows to love them.
- Becoming the Mask: A skinwalker disguises himself as a family dog, waiting for the call to attack and turn the family. He eventually grows to love the family, and almost dies to defend them.
- The Easy Way or the Hard Way: Having caught up with Lucky at the dog pound, Dean gives him a choice between walking out wearing jeans or a dog chain.
- Evil-Detecting Dog: Subverted; Sam and Dean exchange a Meaningful Look when Lucky barks at Cal, seeing it as proof that he's a werewolf. Turns out Lucky is a shapeshifter.
- Cool Guns: Dean gets out a Heckler and Koch Sniper Rifle to take out the Alpha with a Boom, Headshot! before he can send his activation signal to the sleeper cells. Unfortunately Dean can't get a clear shot at the Alpha, so Sam has to get in close with a pistol.
- Downer Ending: Lucky is rejected by the woman he fought to defend, and leaves to once again live a life alone on the street.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: 'Lucky' was just a homeless bum on the streets, before the shapeshifters offered to make him powerful.
- Good Cop/Bad Cop: Soulless Sam falls naturally into the bad cop role, where as Dean can empathize with the shapeshifter's need for a normal life, so he plays good cop.
- Homoerotic Subtext: Crowley sends a kiss to Bobby.
- Never Bring a Knife to a Gun Fight: Lucky shifts into his canine form to fight, but the other skinwalker just shoots him with a silver bullet.
- The Nose Knows: The skinwalkers can scent Sam and Dean coming, so Dean uses a sniper rifle.
- Paranoia Fuel: In-Universe; watching a park full of people playing with their dogs, the Winchesters wonder how may other sleeper cells are out there.
- Stalker with a Crush: Lucky does things like watch Mandy sleep, and watch her while she's in the shower.
- Sympathy for the Devil: The "werewolf" they're hunting is actually a skinwalker, and he was a homeless man who was "recruited" off the streets. Now he's trapped between a family he loves (as their dog) and a ruthless pack of skinwalkers who are "recruiting" an army.
- This Was His True Form: The skinwalkers turn human when they die.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: The skinwalkers.