After a battle damages Fish Stew Pizza, Steven throws a cookout at the Temple to mend the relationship between the Pizza family and the Crystal Gems.
- Beach Episode: Because of the setting, nearly every episode takes place on or near the beach, but this is one about an actual party there.
- Breath Weapon: The pufferfish monster's main form of attack is a strong gust of wind from its mouth.
- Chekhov's Gun: When Garnet spikes a volleyball so hard the ball catches on fire and turns the sand into glass on impact, Nanefua notes that sand will actually turn into glass if heated up enough. Later, Garnet spikes Amethyst, who's turned into a ball, towards the beach, making enough glass to make the puffer fish monster burst.
- Close-Call Haircut: The ends of Amethyst's hair get sliced off when the pufferfish monster blows Pearl's spear back at the Crystal Gems.
- Dangerous Device Disposal Debacle: Tired of fighting a gem monster, Amethyst simply knocks it away into the ocean, and it come back a few hours later.Pearl: Amethyst! Smacking it really far away doesn't solve anything! We needed to destroy it. Now it's just gonna come back later.
Amethyst: Yeah, so we'll deal with it later.
- Destructive Savior: The Crystal Gems continue to wreck up the town with their fights, but for once someone actually complains about it and Steven tries to salvage their reputation in response.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Played with. The gems say that they don't do the job just to get thanks, but Steven wants their neighbors to at least understand the danger of the job they do.
- Feud Episode: The episode is based on Kofi gaining a one-sided resentment of the Crystal Gems for breaking his sign and Steven throwing a party with his family to change his mind.
- Fourth Wall Psych: After Garnet hits the volleyball from a height that allows it to get enough friction to heat up and turn sand to glass, Nanefua seems to explain the phenomenon to the audience; but then the camera pans back a bit, and she's actually explaining it to Steven.
- Hero Insurance: Even when civilians (in this case the Pizzas) demand that the Crystal Gems pay for (or fix) the damages their fights may cause, they simply ignore them completely.
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: When Steven and Kofi Pizza start arguing, Nanefua remarks "Girls, I think I hear all our cell phones ringing!" and leaves with Jenny and Kiki.
- Instant Costume Change: When Steven asks Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl to get some casual clothes for the beach party, all they have to do was morph their clothing according with those they saw in the magazine Steven showed them.
- Iris Out: Over Steven and his nervous laughter after Pearl asks what were they banned from.
- Mistaken Age:Nanefua: Oh, you young people and your experimental diets.
Garnet: I am much older than you.
- Muggle Sports, Super Athletes: The Crystal Gems use their powers to play volleyball with the Pizzas (Amethyst turns into a tennis racket to spike the ball, Pearl makes holographic duplicates as a distraction, Garnet spikes a balls so hard it creates a crater that melts the sand to glass). To keep things relatively fair, they split into three teams, each with a gem and a human.
- Mythology Gag: The gems use the same poses for their Instant Costume Change as they did when they arrived on the warp pad in the pilot.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Jerk Kofi may be, Garnet did wreck his shop's sign then leave without so much as a word, and she never really cared about the damage she caused even toward the end of the episode.
- Relationship-Salvaging Disaster: Steven's volleyball game seems to make things go from Kofi hates the Crystal Gems to almost everyone in both families arguing that the others are cheating. Then the Monster of the Week comes, they work together to defeat it, and even Kofi appreciates the gems for saving his family.
- Talking Is a Free Action: Garnet spikes a volleyball into the beach with meteoric power. Jenny and Amethyst have time to see it, agree they need to run away, and avoid the ball and its impact.
- Transformation Name Announcement: The Gems change into their swimsuits just by announcing their names.
- Spikes of Villainy: The monster of the week is a giant pufferfish.
- Unishment: None of the Crystal Gems care that they're banned from Fish Stew Pizza, because Pearl and Garnet don't generally eat food and Amethyst didn't like them much anyway. When Kofi lifts the ban, Pearl doesn't even remember what it was for.Steven: I've got bad news, everyone. You've all been banned from Fish Stew Pizza.
Pearl: Oh, uhhh, that's okay.
Amethyst: That pizza wasn't even good.
Steven: Aren't you guys upset about this?
Garnet: Not at all.
- Unspoken Plan Guarantee: Steven and Nanefua are entirely on the same page regarding their shared plan to defeat the pufferfish by creating glass shards to pop it on, even without having to discuss it beforehand.