Mr. Krabs finds a creative use for a hole in the Krusty Krab: he transforms it into a drive-thru.
Drive Thru contains examples of:
- An Aesop: Small problems can pile up if fail to accommodate them, and grow to the point that you can't just brute force them anymore.
- Bad Boss: Among other things, Mr. Krabs refuses to pay the bill to Squidward's ear surgery, let alone buy a real microphone and speaker so it wouldn't happen again.
- Big Honking Traffic Jam: The drive-thru causes a standstill in traffic that is so bad a police officer and the mayor came to reprimand Mr. Krabs about it. His solution is to have another drive-thru window at the other end of the restaurant, which just makes the problem worse.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Squidward does this after his ear gets damaged by the Pearl's friends using a megaphone at the drive-thru. He looks at the camera and says, " I'm not faking it, you know. That really hurts. A lot."
- Cutting Corners: Mr. Krabs does this all throughout the episode. Such as fixing the holes in the wall with toothpaste and rejecting the microphone, speaker, and sign SpongeBob brings for the drive-thru in favor of tin cans on a string and napkins.
- Downer Ending: Eventually all the holes Mr. Krabs makes to his restaurant causes it to cave in on itself and get destroyed. To rub salt to the wound, they ran out of "toothpaste" to patch the damage too.
- Negative Continuity: The Krusty Krab was shown to have a drive-thru before in "Driven To Tears".
- Running Gag: Mr. Krabs smashing holes in the wall with a mallet.
- Plankton getting run over and squished by an elderly fish.
- Teens Are Monsters: Pearl and her friends go through the drive-thru just to prank Squidward by shouting into the tin can phones with a megaphone, damaging Squidward's ear.
- Tempting Fate: When a police officer complains about the amount of traffic caused by the drive-thru, Mr. Krabs give him his food free of charge. The police officer accepts the bribe and hopes that the mayor doesn't find out about the mess. It then shows the mayor walking in just as he leaves.
- Tin-Can Telephone: Mr. Krabs uses this for the drive-thru rather than paying for a microphone and speaker.
The Hot Shot
SpongeBob gets driving lessons from the son of a legendary race-car driver.
The Hot Shot contains examples of:
- An Aesop: You have to learn to ease up on driving, but not so much as to break the law.
- Bait-and-Switch Comment: Done at the end before the No, You comment:Mrs. Puff: Well class, I regret to inform you that Tony Jr. is no longer with us...Crowd: *Gasp!*Mrs. Puff: He was transferred to another school.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Three boating school students, two male and one female, ask Tony Fast, Jr. to sign their stuff. The first male fish asks Tony, Jr. to sign his lunchbox and the second one asks him to sign his steering wheel, but the female boating school student is cut off before she explains what she wants Tony Jr. to sign and isn't shown holding anything, which infers that she wants him to sign her breasts.
- Inner Monologue Conversation: Happens after Mrs. Puff sees what a great drive Tony Jr. is.Mrs. Puff: (If he's really that good, maybe there's a chance, just a chance, some of that good could rub off my incorrigible student SpongeBob SquarePants!) Yes!SpongeBob: Mrs. Puff?Mrs. Puff: Yes SpongeBob?SpongeBob: What does "Incorrigible" mean?
- Insult Backfire: The street racers who pull up next to SpongeBob and Tony Jr.Street Racer: That's quite a fancy speed boat you got right there! For a couple of squares!Female Passenger: What he said! (All three laugh)SpongeBob: Thank you! And may I say how lovely your speed boat is too! For a bunch of circles! And by circles, I mean well-rounded individuals!
- No, You: Done at the end:Mrs. Puff: I would think that Tony Jr. taught us all a valuable lesson.
SpongeBob: Oh! Oh! Oh! Never argue and drive?
Mrs. Puff: Close. The lesson is: Never let you drive.
- Not So Above It All: Mrs. Puff tells everybody that Tony Jr. will be treated like any other student, and immediately afterwards asks for his autograph.
- Oh, Crap!: After pretending not to hear SpongeBob's warnings of the police chasing them, Tony Jr. has this reaction when SpongeBob warns him that his father is now chasing them.
- Rage Breaking Point: When Tony Jr. continues telling SpongeBob to "let go, be cool", SpongeBob finally snaps and points out all the stuff that's happened to them because of said advice.
- Shout-Out: Tony Fast Jr. is a mixed parody of Tony Stewart and Dale Earnhardt Jr., two NASCAR legends.