Man of Steel Prequel is a 2013 DC tie-in digital comic book by David S. Goyer, Geoff Johns, Zack Snyder and Sterling Gates. It serves as a prequel to Man of Steel and takes place in the DC Extended Universe.
The story focuses on Kara Zor-El, a distant ancestor to Jor-El and Kal-El, and delves a little into the past of Krypton some thousands of years before its destruction. Kara and a few other Kryptonians are chosen to scout the galaxy for planets worthy of terraforming, and she is placed into stasis as she makes the long journey to another world. However, when she suddenly awakens from her Kryptonian Popsicle sleep, she finds that the rest of the crew are dead and that her ship picked up an uninvited guest...
Provides Examples Of:
- Ancient Astronauts: The Kryptonian scout ship crashed on Earth thousands of years before the present time of the DCEU.
- Bold Explorer: Kara lives during the last centuries of Krypton's expansionist policy. She was chosen to explore new worlds and see if they're fit for terraforming.
- Multicultural Alien Planet: Krypton seems to be as racially diverse as Earth, as Kell-Ur is a black man.
- Prequel: Serves as one for Man of Steel. It explains the Backstory behind the Kryptonian scout ship that is discovered under the ice in Canada in the film.
- Related Differently in the Adaptation: The original comics cast Kara Zor-El as Superman's cousin. Here, she is a distant ancestor of his. Most importantly, nothing indicates whether she will become Supergirl or not, bar being stranded on Earth at the end. It also depends on the lifespan of a Kryptonian under a yellow sun, since the crash happens thousands of years before Krypton's destruction and Kal-El's arrival on Earth.