Volume 1, Episode 02-3
The Shining Beacon, Part 1
The airship lands at Beacon Academy, and the students, Ruby and Yang included, step out and glaze at the shining towers in awe (Jaune on the other hand leaves and empties his stomach). Yang decides to leave Ruby to make friends, much to the latter's horror, and in her stunned daze she stumbles into the luggage of another girl who admonishes Ruby for knocking her volatile Dust vials.
The ensuing Dust explosion disturbs the quiet reading of another girl nearby - a girl with dark hair and a bow, and a small vial of Dust rolls over to her feet. Noticing the Schnee snowflake sigil on the vial, she walks over and returns it to the owner, but not before explaining to Ruby that the "princess" she is talking to is Weiss Schnee, heiress of the Schnee Dust Company, as famous for providing the bulk of the world's Dust supply as it is infamous for its controversial labour forces and questionable business partners. Weiss storms off in a huff, and before Ruby can turn to the other girl and thank her for defending her, she is gone.
Disappointed by how badly her first day is going, Ruby sits alone on the cold stone to think for a moment, when she is joined by the "Vomit Boy". The awkward pair immediately hit it off, discussing their weapons, and then realising that they have been left behind they pick up and follow the group.
The Shining Beacon, Part 2
After a while finding their bearings, Ruby and Jaune finally manage to find Yang, who has saved a spot for them in the crowded main hall. Ruby leaves to join her sister while a red-headed girl in bronze armour silently takes notice of Jaune. Ruby angrily recounts her previous encounter with Weiss Schnee, unaware that a scowling Weiss is standing behind her overhearing everything. Weiss takes the chance to scold Ruby again for the incident and also rebuffs her attempts to make amends.
At this point Ozpin steps out on the stage and welcomes the gathered students with a short and blunt speech. He reminds the new students that they have come to Beacon to apply their talents and seek knowledge and that when they graduate, they would devote their time to protecting the world. He also notes that they lack experience, and that they need to take the initiative to seek knowledge at Beacon. His assistant Glynda Goodwitch then informs them that they will be sleeping in the academy's ballroom.
Later, the students are ready for their first night in Beacon's walls. Yang is enjoying the co-ed bunking while Ruby is penning a letter to her old friends at Signal Academy. Ruby notices amidst the candlelight the dark-haired girl from earlier, still with her nose buried in a book, and she points the girl out to Yang. Wrong move. The next thing Ruby knows, Yang is dragging her over to help her make a new friend, but the girl, Blake, would really just prefer to read in peace. Ruby is able to connect with Blake over her book however, and Ruby explains that her whole motivation to being a Huntress is to help those who can't help themselves and to make the world a better place; judging by her faint smile, Blake seems to have a silent admiration for Ruby's ambition.
Yang makes her admiration for her sister much more clear, and it's not long before Weiss Schnee comes over complaining about the noise. As Weiss and Yang start a heated argument, Blake has had enough for one night, and she blows out the candles.
These episodes contain examples of:
- Art Shift: In the first part of the episode upon seeing the exotic weaponry of her fellow students Ruby suddenly turned into a hand-drawn chibi, bouncing about in enthusiasm while her CG sister Yang looked on bemusedly. And then in the second half Ruby and Yang get into a playful Catfight (complete with cat noises) which is shown as a Big Ball of Violence.
- Back Blocking: After Ruby leaves him Jaune wonders where he'll find a nice, quirky girl to talk to. Then he walks off-camera, revealing someone who turns out to be Pyrrha in front of the group of silhouette characters.
- Big Ball of Violence: Ruby and Yang enter one while play-fighting.
- Boring, but Practical: In a world where magic, guns, and blades intersect, Jaune uses... a plain old sword and a collapsible shield/scabbard. Ruby lampshades this, saying that it's good to have a healthy respect for the classics. Although, on the subject, the shield's special feature isn't that practical or impressive.
- Brutal Honesty: Ozpin welcomes the new students to his school with a Dare to Be Badass speech which basically begins as a "Reason You Suck" Speech.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: The Schnee Dust Company doesn't have a very good reputation, Blake describes it as being known for both its production of Dust as well as its exploited laborers and shady business practices.
- Dramatic Gun Cock/Description Porn: Ruby does this while showing off Crescent Rose to Jaune.Jaune: Whoa! Is that a scythe?
Ruby: It's also a customizable high-impact sniper rifle.
Jaune: A what?
Ruby: [cocks her weapon] It's also a gun.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Downplayed. Ruby's brief chibi gag is never used in the series again, though it was likely just a one-off gag anyways.
- Foreshadowing: A minor line in this episode turns out to be rather significant later. How much later? Three volumes later.
- Irony:Ruby: [falling onto Weiss's luggage] I don't know what I'm doing.
Weiss: [standing over Ruby] What are you doing?
- Leitmotif: The second part of Weiss' rant is accompanied by part of "Mirror, Mirror". When Blake joins in seconds later, though, the music switches to the melody in "Red Like Roses" that plays at 'Black the beast descends from shadows', meaning "Red Like Roses" might be the Leitmotif of the entire team.
- Made of Explodium: Dust is extremely volatile. It can explode from being sneezed on.
- No OSHA Compliance: Dust is extremely volatile, and yet is sold with no extra safety measures in publicly accessible shops along with books, magazines, and other highly flammable objects. Weiss is carrying suitcases of it in insecure, corked bottles when she is knocked over and blames Ruby when it explodes.
- Shy Finger-Twiddling: Ruby awkwardly fidgets this way as Weiss is chewing her out.
- Sneeze of Doom: Ruby has a massive Dust-empowered one which covers Weiss in ash. Weiss is unamused.
- Squee!: Ruby upon seeing the assorted weaponry at Beacon
- Well, Excuse Me, Princess!: Ruby can only take Weiss's jerkass attitude for so long.