After Barney ruins Marshall's bachelor party, and Robin finds herself in a sticky situation when she gets an inappropriate joke gift for Lily's bridal shower, which is made of of older women.
This episode provides examples of:
- Awful Wedded Life: Stuart provides the bitter jokes about marriage, to the point the others start to question him if everything is all right with Claudia.
- Covert Pervert: After the bridal shower ends, Lily and Robin laugh at the gift and, after a few jokes about having it, Robin suggests returning it. Lily promptly refuses and insists on keeping it.
- Double Entendre/Accidental Innuendo: After Robin switches the tags of her's and Lily's grandma's gifts, which respectively contain a vibrating dildo and a sewing machine, Lily's grandma fully describes the sewing machine in detail without her knowing it was swapped and Lily mistakes it for the dildo, and everything the grandma says could apply to either device.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: The stripper the boys hired had her ankle broken, and tells the story of her daddy issues and her earning this job for raising her kids while her fiancé who came back from Iraq drinks his ass off. The boys try to console her, but she states this trope, and insisting that The Show Must Go On.
- Five-Token Band: Subverted with other Bachelor Party tokens: The Groom (Marshall), The Best-Man (Ted), the guy who cracks all the bitter jokes about marriage (Stuart), the guy who disappears the entire night (Brad)... and Barney.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: Turns out that all those times Barney stole the girls away from Marshall was to prevent him from hooking up before Lily came back.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Robin starts downing wine when she realizes her horrible mistake.Woman: Could you pass the wine?Robin: (Clutching the bottle) No.
- Oh, Crap!:
- Robin is not amused after finding out that Lily's Bridal Shower was a lot different from what she thought, as the guests are mostly her relatives, kids and a nun.
- Barney realizes that he forgot to put out the cigar, which causes a fire at the hotel and for the guys, and Barney, and maybe Brad, to be kicked out from said hotel. No one knows what happened to the stripper they hired.
- The Reveal: Right when Marshall was chewing out Barney for ruining his Bachelor Party, Lily confesses that it was Barney the one who convinced Lily to return to him.
- Stag Party: Ted arranges a more sedate affair for Marshall, seeing a boxing match followed by a nice steak dinner, and even lies to Barney about where they're going to keep him from meddling. It doesn't work. By the time they arrive at the hotel Barney has somehow arranged for a stripper to meet them at the hotel. The evening pretty much unravels from there.
- The Un-Reveal: Why was Brad found naked in the middle of the road?