Original Airdate: January 29, 2011
It's Recoome's turn to fight, and to hog the spotlight in this slam fest! But even after he takes down Team Three Star, what will he do when a new challenger approaches?
And you're gonna be tropin' all too soon:
- Anything but That!: Two examples: First Freeza at Captain Ginyu performing The Dance of Joy, then Dende at being left behind with Guru when the latter orders Nail to help out the Earthlings against the Ginyu Force.
- Badass Boast: "THE NAME'S RECOOME! AND IT RHYMES WITH DOOM! AND YOU'RE GONNA BE HURTING ALL! TOO! SOON!"
- Did Not Think This Through: Gohan lampshades this about fighting Recoome all on his own when his only advantage over him is knowing more about peach farming.
- The end of the Cold Opening has Burter, Recoome, and Jeice performing a "1, 2, 3, not it!" contest to decide who's going to tell Captain Ginyu about Guldo's death, with Jeice losing. By the end of the next episode, Jeice is the only Ginyu Force member left alive to tell Ginyu what's happened.
- Hints are given in this episode about King Cold's Abridged personality, such as him referring to Freeza as his "little Princess."
- Just in Time: Just as Gohan, Vegeta, and Krillin are about to be killed by Recoome, Goku shows up in his space ship and lands close to where they're fighting. To the theme of Hulk Hogan's Real American.
- Mythology Gag: The entrance music the Ginyu Force gives to Vegeta is the Dragon Ball GT dub theme, much to his annoyance.
- Parody Commercial: One for a restaurant called Spacey's; It's good food. In space.
- Running Gag: Ginyu continuously needing to perform new dances before Freeza can use the Dragon Balls. First he must perform The Dance of Joy, which King Cold has ordered him to perform following every successful mission. Then he must perform The Daddy's Little Princess Dance, which Cooler has ordered him to do to annoy Freeza. Finally, when Freeza attempts and fails to summon the dragon, Ginyu suggests performing The Dance of Cheering You Up.
- Also note that all of these are pretty much the same dance.
- Seinfeldian Conversation: Recoome, Jeice, and Burter have one at the beginning of the episode before noticing Guldo's corpse. Ironically, it's on the subject "The Contest" episode of the Trope Namer was about.
- Shout-Out: Plenty to professional wrestling:
- The episode title is a pun on WrestleMania.
- Both Vegeta and Recoome ask to "hit the music"
- Recoome's personality is a combination of The Rock, Hulk Hogan, and Randy Savage.
- Recoome at one point refers to himself as a "five-time champion!"
- Recoome mentions "selling" (how a wrestler reacts to being hit by an opponents attack) after he survives an energy blast from Vegeta.
- Vegeta at one point tells Recoome to "Suck it, jabroni"
- Jeice and Burter serve as a wrestling commentary duo.
- Jeice, on commentary, uses phrases commonly used by Jim Ross or Michael Cole.
- Goku makes his entrance at the end of the episode to Hulk Hogan's theme song "Real American".
- Take That!: Vegeta shouts out for someone to hit his music. The response? The dub opening from Dragon Ball GT starts playing.