Debuted under JYP Entertainment in 2010 with the song Bad Girl Good Girl, miss A (Korean: 미쓰에이) is a South Korean Girl Group. The song led to the group becoming the fastest girl group to take the #1 spot on a music show.
Before debuting, they drew attention in China as the Chinese Wonder Girls. The group was originally a five-member group called the JYP Sisters, which included miss A members Fei and Jia and Wonder Girls member Lim. Two of the members withdrew from JYP Entertainment, and Lim debuted as the final member of Wonder Girls. Lee Minyoung, who was a solo artist and had once formed a dance duo called Little Winners with SNSDs Hyoyeon, and Suzy, a trainee, were added to the group to form miss A.
The group maintained its popularity until the promotions for their mini album Colors, after which the members focused on their solo activities. Fei was the first member to achieve a solo debut, with the mini album Fantasy in 2016.
After a successful acting debut in Dream High, youngest member Suzy rose to fame, leading to more acting projects and an eventually debuting as a solo artist with the mini album Yes? No? in 2017. Her fame popularity rose higher upon the revelation that she was dating actor Lee Min Ho, one of the most popular Hallyu stars.
Member Jia left the group in 2016, leaving miss A as a trio. However, they never got to promote any group projects from the end of Colors up to Mins withdrawal from JYP, which is speculated to be the reason of their disbandment in 2017.
- Fei (Wang Feifei, born April 27, 1987) - Main Vocalist
- Jianote (Meng Jia, born February 3, 1990) - Main Rapper, Lead Dancer, Vocalist
- Min (Lee Minyoung, born June 21, 1991) Main Dancer, Lead Vocalist, Rapper
- Suzy (Bae Suji, born October 10, 1994) Vocalist, Rapper, Maknae, Face of the Group
- A Class (2011)
- Hush (2013)
- Bad But Good (2010)
- Touch (2012)
- Independent Women Part III (2012)
- Colors (2015)
- A Class (2011)
- Touch (2012)
- Always Be Here (2014 Korean single)
- Fantasy (2016 Korean mini album)
- One More Kiss (2016 Chinese single)
- JIA (2016 Chinese mini album)
- Dance Like This (2007 US single)
- Go Ahead (2008 US single)
- Boyfriend (2008 US single)
- Yes? No? (2017 Korean mini album)
Tropes related to the Wonder Girls and their music:
- Boastful Rap: "I Dont Need a Man" has Jia and Min rapping about how they can live well without a man to provide them money.
- Family Theme Naming: Wonder Girls, miss A, and TWICE have the same "s" sound, but only Wonder Girls and TWICE share the syllable "스" (miss A is written as 미쓰에이 in Korean).
- Fanservice: A lot, especially in Bad Girl Good Girl.
- Four-Girl Ensemble: The members are mixtures of the different types, with Fei being the sexy Team Mom, Jia is sexy yet tomboyish, Min is the tomboyish type, and Suzy being the sweet-naïve girl.
- Genki Girl: All of them, even Fei who is usually shown as collected and reserved, have their moments.
- Gratuitous English: Like most Korean pop songs, their songs have randomly inserted English in them.
- Hotter and Sexier: In comparison to their predecessor, Wonder Girls. JYP stated that he wanted miss A to have a sexy image as compared to the Wonder Girls, who at that time were seen as a retro but bubbly group.
- I Dont Need A Man was followed by Hush.
- JYP wants Suzy to portray this image, as he was amazed by her sexy performance during the JYP Nation tour in 2014.
- Looped Lyrics:
- Miss A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A, Miss A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A
- I dont need a man, I dont need a man
- Meaningful Name: The name miss A is short for Miss Asia, which alludes to the members different backgrounds (Fei and Jia are Chinese, while Min and Suzy are Korean). The A also refers to having the highest rank, A.
- Ms. Fanservice: All of them, but mostly Fei, who is praised for her perfect body proportions, beauty, and skin tone.
- Odd Name Out: miss A is the only group in JYP that doesnt include some kind of number or has the distinct s sound (unless you consider the 쓰 to be the same as the 스 found in Wonder Girls and TWICE).
- Official Couple:
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Mostly associated with Jia and Suzy.
- Singer Name Drop: The whole chorus of Step Up consists of Miss A.
- Min wrote the lyrics for Stuck, and co-wrote the lyrics for G. Souls title track Far, Far Away.
- Suzy wrote the lyrics for I Caught Ya.
- Spell My Name with an "S":
- Since there isnt an f letter in Korean, Feis name is sometimes translated as Pei.
- Minyoung can be spelled as Minyeong, but the former is used.
- Suzy is just another romanization of Suji, which can also be spelled as Suzi.
- Stage Names: Fei (Fei Fei), Min (Minyoung), and Suzy (Suji).
- Surprisingly Good English: Min stayed in the US for six years and even released singles there. The other members can also speak and understand English well.
- Surprisingly Good Foreign Language: Min and Suzy can also speak Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin).
- Translated Cover Version: Some of their songs are both in Korean and Chinese.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: Though Jia is one of the members associated with a cool image, she likes dolls and girly things.
- Unperson: Averted with Jia, who remains close to the girls, the other artists in JYP, and with JYP himself. Even after her departure, when talking about miss A, she is still regarded as a member.
- She was also meant to be included in the card lineup for Superstar JYP Nation, but she left JYP Entertainment before the game finished its development. She still appears in the game as a member of miss A, but only in the background.