Gorgoroth are a Norwegian Black Metal band, infamous for their constant lineup changes due to the history behind many of the band members involved within them. Ever since its birth, guitarist Infernus has run the band by himself after vocalist Hat and drummer Goatpervertor left. Vocalist Pest and bassist Ares came into the band, with Pest doing the other half of the vocals on Antichrist when Hat left.
In April 1996, they toured alongside Satyricon and Dissection, following a recording of the EP The Last Tormentor. Eventually, they became a big name in the European Black Metal scene. In that same year, Under the Sign of Hell was recorded and released. In 1997, they were signed onto Nuclear Blast until 2004, much to the dismay of the more hardcore black metal fans due to the perceived image of "selling out".
It was then Gaahl had joined the band and made his debut on only one track off Destroyer. He would proceed to do almost all of the vocals on Incipit Satan. In 2002, Gaahl was arrested for his infamous beating. The controversy did not end there for the band, as in 2004, a shooting of a concert taking place in Poland was not viewed well from the Polish due to the Satanic nature and animal cruelty of the concert, as the stage had various Satanic symbols and decapitated sheep on stakes. This event alone had Gorgoroth dropped from the Nuclear Blast Roster and were forced to sign up with Regain Records for Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam.
In 2007, Gaahl and King Ov Hell tried to take hold of the Gorgoroth name by attempting to fire Infernus. Due to the dispute, they had to take it to the court, which ruled off the band under Infernus, effectively kicking out the former two. Pest came back after Gaahl's ejection, and Obituary bassist Frank Watkins joined. Quantos Possunt ad Satanitatem Trahunt was finally released, and was Pest's only album that he was on before he got fired in 2012, not counting the 2011 re-recording of Under the Sign of Hell. In 2015, bassist Frank Watkins passed away after a long battle with cancer.
- Infernus guitar (1992Present)
- Tomas Asklund drums (2007present)
- Atterigner vocals (2012present)
Notable Past Members:
- Pest - Vocals (19951997, 20082012)
- Gaahl - Vocals (19982007)
- Samoth - Bass (19931994)
- King ov Hell - Bass (19992006, 2007)
- Bøddel bass (20072015)
- Frost - Drums (19941995, 20042005)
- Pentagram (1994)
- Antichrist (1996)
- Under the Sign of Hell (1997)
- Destroyer (1998)
- Incipit Satan (2000)
- Twilight of the Idols (2003)
- Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam (2006)
- Quantos Possunt ad Satanitatem Trahunt (2009)
- Under the Sign of Hell 2011 (2011)
- Instinctus Bestialis (2015)
Tropes Displayed by Gorgoroth:
- Axe-Crazy: Gaahl certainly comes across as this.
- Black Metal: One of the Trope Codifiers for the Norwegian Wave.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Gaahl was convicted of aggravated assault in 2004 for beating a man, collecting his blood in a cup and threatening to make him drink it.
- Cover Version: "Life Eternal" by Mayhem and "Slottet i det fjerne" by Darkthrone. Infernus himself is very against people covering his music though.
- Dark Is Evil: ...And Evil Is Cool.
- Genre Roulette: Incipit had more Noise and Dark Ambient influences.
- I Am the Band: Infernus, the last remaining founder. Averted with Twilight of the Idols and Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam, which were mostly written by Gaahl and King ov Hell.
- Indecipherable Lyrics: The band itself prefers theirs to be like this, going as far as threatening sites with said lyrics to remove them. The band have never officially published either their lyrics or tablature.
- Lead Bassist: King ov Hell was a Type C.
- Manly Gay: Gaahl.
- Meaningful Name: Former bassist Frank Watkins' stage name, "Bøddel" - which means executioner in Norwegian. Executioner was the old name of the death metal band Obituary, who, coincidentally Frank also played bass for.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Solid 10 for the most part, par for the course of Black Metal. Hard 10 on earlier albums
- New Sound Album: Under the Sign and Destroyer took a more experimental change in their usual BM sound. Incipit took the changes up to eleven, and then Twilight returned to the more standard BM sound.
- Revolving Door Band: To the point where Gaahl and King tried to kick Infernus out of his own band. Animosity between Infernus and other members aren't much better either, such as when Pest got fired.
- Rated M for Manly
- Rock Me, Asmodeus!: With Infernus being a Theistic Satanist, the band might be the biggest example ever. Gorgoroth are very well known for decorating their stage with impaled sheep heads, mock-crucifixions and gallons of blood.
- Satan: Aside from apocalyptic visions, death, destruction, war and misery, Satan tends to crop up a lot.
- Start My Own: Gaahl and King ov Hell started God Seed back in 2009, and it became their main band when both lost the case against Infernus.
- Gaahl has also started a folk band entirely devoted to Norse mythology and runes named Wardruna.
- Again in 2015, Gaahl has a new main band, Gaahls Wyrd.