- Awesome Music: Under the Sign of Hell and Antichrist, which are typically considered their best albums.
- Base-Breaking Character: Gaahl. Some fans consider him the embodiment of Evil Is Cool in regards to Black Metal and he is one of the best-known artists outside the scene. However, a lot of metalheads consider him to be a mediocre singer and fame whore who hogs the limelight at the expense of others in the Black Metal scene. His trying to take the band from Infernus with King ov Hell did little to endear him to fans as well.
- Broken Base: The release of the 2011 re-recording of 'Under the Sign of Hell' has been polarized as well: Most fans despise the album due to removing the atmosphere of the original, while others feel it's decent.
- Fans are incredibly critical over the fact Infernus will attack fans for posting lyrics, even recreations and covers of their songs despite the fact he has done song covers himself paints a terrible light on the band.
- Contested Sequel: Pretty much every album after Under the Sign of Hell is one.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Gaahl, who is well-known even to non-Black Metal fans.
- Grim (real name Erik Brødreskift) also has a surprising amount of popularity for being in the band for such a short time (likely due to Dead Artists Are Better) and also being the inspiration for the Hole in the Sky festival.
- Epic Riff: "A World to Win" and the title track from Incipit Satan, "Sorg" from Antichrist, "Profetens Apenbaring" from Under the Sign of Hell, and "Of Ice and Movement" from Twilight of the Idols are standout examples.
- Face of the Band: Infernus. Gaahl might also qualify amongst the general public.
- Memetic Mutation: "Satan..."
- Narm: There are some people who don't like Gorgoroth due to the heavy usage of Satanic imagery, especially how more obvious Infernus forces in that the band is singing about Satanism and the like (Incipit Satan and the later albums, anyone?)
- Nightmare Fuel: Has its own page
- Signature Song: "Incipit Satan." "Profetens Apenbaring" is also a good candidate.
- Replacement Scrappy: Gaahl could be considered this for replacing Pest as singer.
- The Scrappy: King ov Hell is NOT well-liked by fans, especially after he and Gaahl tried to wrest the band from Infernus. To give you an example, look at Darkthrone's Circle the Wagons, and you'll see the catalog number "ANTI-KING OV HELL 001" in the album notes.
YMMV / Gorgoroth