Friend Or Foe is the debut studio album by Adam Ant, released in 1982. It is his most successful solo album to date. Though he left his former band, Ants guitarist Marco Pirroni continued to collaborate, co-producing and providing guitar.
- "Friend Or Foe" (3:22)
- "Something Girls" (3:52)
- "Place In The Country" (2:50)
- "Desperate But Not Serious" (4:14)
- "Here Comes The Grump" (3:35)
- "Hello, I Love You" (2:37)
- "Goody Two Shoes" (3:28)
- "Crackpot History And The Right To Lie" (2:44)
- "Made Of Money" (3:28)
- "Cajun Twisters" (2:56)
- "Try This For Sighs" (3:03)
- "Man Called Marco" (3:27)
You don't drink don't trope - what do you do?
- Alliterative Title: "Friend or Foe", "Made of Money" and "Man Called Marco".
- Blatant Lies: "Crackpot History And The Right To Lie", where Ant lists a series of lies people tell each otherPeople lie, people hurt, like to read their Sunday dirtSo every Jekyll needs a Hyde to blame the business on(...) Every rebel that I've met say they're going to die and yetI see them now and they ain't dead yet and pushing 41
- Country Matters: "Place In The Country"All I thought I wanted was a front doorAll I thought I wanted was a place in the countryNow I realize I wanted so much moreSome I love but you I adore
- Cover Version: "Hello I Love You", originally by The Doors.
- Death by Sex: "Here Comes The Grump"Doctors said: "Adam, sex kills"So come inside, come inside, come inside, come insideCome inside and die
- Department of Redundancy Department: "Something Girls"Every girl is a something girlEvery girl is a something girlEvery girl is a something girlShe's got something, she's got something
- Face on the Cover: A close-up of Adam's face.
- Fade Out: "Good Sex Rumples the Clothing", "Something Girls", "Desperate But Not Serious", "Here Comes The Grump", "Hello, I Love You", "Made Of Money" and "Try This For Sighs" (played with; the music fades out but the singing and drumsticks do not).
- Hot Librarian: The journalist in the music video for "Goody Two Shoes." Complete with the glasses-off, hair-down, top-button bit at the end.
- Intercourse with You:
If it's bad for you then do itAnd if it's good then stay awayGood sex hurtsBad sex flirtsGood sex rumples the clothing
- "Good Sex Rumples The Clothing"
In the night when things go bumpThink of me, think of me (here comes the grump)
- "Here Comes The Grump"
- One-Man Song: "Man Called Marco".
- Pun-Based Title: "Try This For Sighs"
- Shout-Out: "Crackpot History And The Right To Lie" name-drops Liza Minnelli and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
- Title Track: "Friend Of Foe", though the title is not mentioned in the lyrics.