Adam Ant is an English musician and actor, best known for his work in the band Adam and the Ants. Born Stuart Leslie Goddard on November 3, 1957, he took on this new persona after a failed suicide attempt. He'd been in some little-known bands previously, including Bazooka Joe, and The B-Sides. But after becoming Adam, he formed The Ants, and went on to achieve international success.
Ant has also had several acting roles, including Jubilee and World Gone Wild.
Studio Discography:Adam and the Ants
- 1982 - Friend or Foe
- 1983 - Strip
- 1985 - Vive Le Rock
- 1990 - Manners & Physique
- 1995 - Wonderful
- 2013 - Adam Ant Is the Blueblack Hussar in Marrying the Gunner's Daughter
Ant Tropes for Sex People, Sex Tropes for Ant People (Note: see the individual album pages for their specific tropes)
- Brought Down to Normal: Ant's creativity diminished when he went on medication for depression."Put it this way, seven years I was on this last one, and I didnt pick up a guitar. Since Ive come off it, with my GPs help, Ive written a double album. Im sort of back to what I think is being, well, serene, I suppose."
- Facial Markings: The white stripe across his nose, the red stripes across the right cheek, and the thin black lines under the cheekbones.
- Goth: While not a goth himself, his look was a major influence on gothic fashion, and his knack for dark, theatrical songs about surreal and frequently disturbing topics struck a chord with a lot of the same people who would later form the scene.
- Guyliner: A staple of his look.
- Hollywood Nerd: Evoked the image in the early days of the Ants, when he wore glasses.◊
- Meaningful Rename: After his failed suicide attempt he became Adam Ant, an identity that is both new and eternal."I really knew I wanted to be Adam, because Adam was the first man. Ant I chose because, if there's a nuclear explosion, the ants will survive."
- Mr. Fanservice: He was once voted the sexiest man in America, and is well aware of this. He keeps wearing dangerously short shorts, and more often that not is shirtless. Then there's his strip tease, and the fact that there are a lot of pictures where he's in bed... shirtless.◊ Sure enough, there are plenty of fangirls out there out there that are more interested in his looks than his actual music, with some people thinking he's not only hot, but adorable.
- New Romantic: Considered part of the scene both with the second Ants formation and solo. Musically he was closer to the scene solo.
- New Sound Album: Pretty much every album does this to some extent -
- Dirk Wears White Sox was dark, arty, lo-fi, slightly gothy Punk Rock and Post-Punk.
- Kings Of The Wild Frontier introduced a much more colourful, eclectic Post-Punk and New Wave sound with a heavy 'Burundi Beat' influence.
- Prince Charming is similar to ...Wild Frontier, albeit slightly poppier and more accessible, and is more New Wave than Post-Punk unlike its predecessor.
- Friend Or Foe is Glam Rock influenced New Wave.
- Strip Opts for a more accessible New Wave and Pop Rock sound.
- Vive Le Rock has a harder Pop Rock and New Wave sound than its predecessor, taking influences from 1970s Glam Rock and 1950s Rock & Roll.
- Manners And Physique is heavily dance music and Minneapolis Sound-influenced.
- Wonderful has a much more mature, rootsy Alternative Rock sound than previous albums.
- Adam Ant Is The Blueblack Hussar In Marrying The Gunner's Daughter returned to a much more experimental Post-Punk and Art Rock influenced sound.
- Pie in the Face: Adam was a victim of the Phantom Flan Flinger at least twice during his several apperances on the children's TV show Tis Was.
- Revisiting the Roots: Blueblack Hussar... returned Adam to the arty lo-fi experimentation of Dirk Wears White Sox.
- Stage Names: Adam Ant AKA Stuart Leslie Goddard.
- Tribal Face Paint: The white stripe across his nose during the ...Wild Frontier era and/or the red stripes across the right cheek during the Prince Charming era.