Maya, a translator, used to date a girl named Michiru when they were both in high school. Although they were in love, one day Michiru abruptly disappeared without explanation. Maya slowly went through the process of moving on, only for Michiru to turn up again one day five years later as suddenly as she had left, this time with a young toddler boy in tow. Maya has no intention of getting back together with Michiru, but when she happens upon a wonderful apartment she can't afford on her own, she suggests they all move in together, and Michiru agrees.
So goes Ohana Holoholo, a josei manga by Shino Torino which was serialized in Feel Young magazine from 2008 to 2013. It covers the everyday lives of Maya, Michiru, Michiru's son Yuuta, and Nico, a neighbour of theirs in the apartment building who is very fond of Yuuta and has his own connection to Michiru. Although the action mostly focuses on the adults' daily goings-on as they look after Yuuta, underneath that it is also the story of the rekindling relationship between Michiru and Maya.
Contains examples of:
- Children Are Innocent: Even though Michiru can be childishly selfish, Yuuta is always willing to give up his desires to please her.
- Cuteness Proximity: Nico can't handle how cute Yuuta is.
- From Roommates to Romance: The intention of Maya and Michiru's living situation is simply to be roommates, but feelings begin to reemerge.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Michiru starts to worry badly that Maya will leave her when she realises that Maya is flirting with an old high school crush of hers. Earlier on, she even gets jealous over the love that Maya shows to Michiru's own son.
- I'm Taking Her Home with Me!: At one point Nico meets up with Yuuta and Maya, gleefully greets Yuuta, then grabs him and leaves with a quick 'goodbye!' A few moments later he returns, disappointed Maya failed to react at all.
- Insecure Love Interest: Michiru is very aware of her many flaws and is very worried about Maya leaving her.
- Lovable Jock: Hidesuke was the stereotypical arrogant but friendly and popular sports player in high school, and he's still involved in sports as a job now, but he's a pretty nice guy all around.
- Manchild: Michiru, played for drama. She had Yuuta when she was still very young and barely into adulthood herself. Because of this, she finds raising Yuuta really hard, and often worries that she's a bad mother.
- Old Flame: Michiru and Maya. Also, Maya and Hidesuke, although it seems that Maya's crush on him never crystallised into an actual relationship when they were younger.