Sakura is a normal teenage girl living with her older sister Botan and her younger sister Momiji. One day their third sibling, Kashiwa, returns home from college. However, it turns out that she's changed a lot since she left. She wasn't living as a woman when she left, after all!
Kyou Kara Yonshimai is a manga about a transgender woman and her three sisters adjusting to the change. It was written by Nanki Sato and ran from October 30, 2013 to December 29, 2014.
Kyou Kara Yonshimai contains examples of:
- Bathtub Scene: Sakura is having one when Momiji pressures her crush to sneak on her, believing it was Kashiwa.
- Big Brother Instinct: Kashiwa does not take it lightly when Sakura's crush keeps on bothering her.
- Dysfunctional Family: Sakura's family, even before Kashiwa's return and coming out as a woman, is barely functioning beyond surface level. Between Botan, Sakura, Momiji, the household is still dealing from their father's departure.
- Easy Sex Change: Subverted. It turns out that reassignment surgery is expensive, which is exactly why Kashiwa decided to come back home, and it's not something that can be done easily.
- Innocently Insensitive: Both Sakura and Momiji are rather against Kashiwa's coming out as a woman early on, repeatedly referring to her as a male and as their brother, though this comes off more due to complete lack of understanding than actual malice.
- Operation: Jealousy: One that doesn't end as expected. In their attempt to break Botan's Secret Relationship, Sakura, Kashiwa and Momiji only make matters worse by ruining her boss's marriage and damaging Botan's own personal life.
- Parental Abandonment: The sibling's father ran off after their mother died.
- Promotion to Parent: Botan, the oldest sister was left in the care of her three younger siblings after their dad left. As an adult, she ends up running off too.
- Transgender: Kashiwa is a trans woman.
- Tranquil Fury: When confronting her sisters over destroying her relationship with her married boss, Botan never raises her voice, only calmly berating them over their interference.
- Trans Relationship Troubles: Trans woman Kashiwa runs into troubles with her girlfriend. They're fine dating, but her girlfriend doesn't want Kashiwa to get surgery. She claims it's because it'll make marriage a more difficult process, but Kashiwa worries that it's because she sees her as a Wholesome Crossdresser instead of a woman.