This is an index of tropes that are about taboos as such, rather than issues that can be considered taboo.
Compare That Which Must Not Be Indexed.
Tropes about taboos:
- Forbidden Love
- Gay Panic
- Jesus Taboo
- Nuclear Weapons Taboo
- Our Nudity Is Different
- The Scottish Trope
- Time Travel Taboo
- Unacceptable Targets
- Unfortunate Implications
- Your Normal Is Our Taboo
Tropes that have a component of being about taboos:
- Alien Blood — black blood makes violence easier especially on Mecha-Mooks, Taboo of enemies you can sympathize with.
- Bloodless Carnage — blood is taboo, violence is okay.
- The Body Parts That Must Not Be Named — implying the genitals is okay, but saying the actual words for them is taboo.
- Bury Your Gays — gay people get killed off.
- Curse Cut Short — don't say it!
- Discretion Shot — don't show it!
- Family-Friendly Firearms: Realistic weapons are taboo.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment — what used to be neutral or funny is now taboo because of a later tragedy involving or relating to it.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck! — replacing taboo words with similar sounding ones.
- Harsher in Hindsight — when it is more taboo than before.
- Have a Gay Old Time — what used to be normal are now euphemisms.
- Hide Your Lesbians — two women who act like they're in love are never confirmed to be lesbians or given actual romance, possibly because homosexuality is taboo.
- Informed Obscenity — fictional obscenities.
- Jesus Was Way Cool — a taboo against portraying Jesus in a negative light, a taboo that doesn't necessarily extend to God.
- Moral Guardians — and the taboos should remain taboo, thank you very much.
- Never Say "Die" — however, talking about the cessation of biological functioning is permitted.
- Nipple and Dimed — where female nipples are taboo, yet male nipples are not.
- Once Acceptable Targets — making fun of these used to be OK, but now is taboo.
- Please Put Some Clothes On — a trope about characters getting embarrassed because of a nudity taboo.
- Preserve Your Gays — going out of their way to not kill the gay characters.
- Seven Dirty Words — which seven words in particular depend on where you live.
- Sex Is Evil, and I Am Horny — a character being destructive because his sexual urges clash with his internalized sexual taboos.
- Too Soon — when it's taboo to joke about a recent tragedy