A Gender Reveal occurs when a character's true gender is revealed, either to the audience or in-universe to other characters. The gender could be hidden completely or appear to be the opposite to their true gender, revealed to the audience, or known by the audience and revealed in-universe to characters. Reasons for the confusion range from intentional on the character's part to just having a naturally misleading appearance. Situations with Crossdressing and Gender Bending are particularly prone to including gender reveals for obvious reasons.
This index covers all instances of one gender mistaken for another gender. Examples belong on the appropriate trope. Note that not all of these tropes necessarily involve a Gender Reveal, just that they are places one is likely to occur.
Compare Mistaken Age.
Applies to both genders
- Ambiguous Gender applies to characters whose true gender is kept deliberately ambiguous; sometimes they get a Gender Reveal later, sometimes they don't.
- Ambiguous Gender Identity applies to characters whose gender identity is left vague. They're sometimes given a Gender Reveal later on (which may be due to a Coming-Out Story), but not always.
- Crossdresser applies to characters who dress in the clothing of the opposite sex. May or may not involve a Gender Reveal.
- Sweet on Polly Oliver is when what appeared to be distressing, incompatible attraction is revealed to be compatible upon a Gender Reveal, usually garnering a positive reaction.
- Trans Tribulations occur when a character is revealed to be transgender, which often results in misunderstanding and discrimination from others.
- Trans Relationship Troubles applies when characters have a hard time accepting a romantic partner who turns out to be transgender.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal is when what appeared to be compatible attraction is revealed to be incompatible upon a gender reveal, usually garnering a negative reaction.
- Viewer Gender Confusion is the result of a character with an ambiguous or misleading appearance confusing the casual audience as to the character's true gender, but the narrative isn't trying to hide anything. Anything that makes their true gender obvious may act as a gender reveal for the confused viewer.
- Your Tomcat Is Pregnant is when the gender of a pet is mistaken, frequently when a supposed male pet is found to be pregnant or has babies.
Appears male, reveals female
- Bifauxnen is when a female looks like a Pretty Boy. May or may not involve a Gender Reveal.
- Female Monster Surprise is when a monster or other creature is revealed as female.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude is when a female looks like a male. May or may not involve a Gender Reveal.
- Monster Is a Mommy: Where one thinks the monster or creature is male, but realizes that "he" has grown offspring.
- Samus Is a Girl is when the audience is completely left in the dark that a badass is a female until the Gender Reveal.
- Sweet Polly Oliver is when a female is disguised as a male. May or may not involve a Gender Reveal.