- Sho's jealous guarding of his status as little brother to Judai, his "aniki", in Yu-Gi-Oh! GX borders on Ho Yay (even more so in the dub). It turns into a really weird not-quite-love triangle when Johan appears in Season 3, making not only Sho but Judai's Stalker with a Crush so jealous, they possess him.
Syrus: Jaden's my best friend! He's my hero! He's the hot fudge on the sundae that is my life!
- Example (from the dub of Episode 61, S2 Episode 9):
- Syrus can also sometimes give Jaden hugs.
- In Season 1, Episode 4 Raring To Go, Syrus was missing Jaden when he was anointed as Ra Yellow after winning a duel tournament. But then, Jaden appeared and said to Syrus that without him, the Ra dorm is not his home, which had Syrus bursting into tears and giving Jaden more hugs while saying that he thought that he lost him forever and vows that he'll never let him go.
- At the end of Get Yarr Game On, Syrus says to Jaden while swimming to his rescue that he wants him to be his "shipmate."
- In Episode 137, Syrus had a dream of him and Jaden talking. Then Jaden says to Syrus that he's still looking after him and that he still has his back, then he asks Syrus if he'd do the same for him, making him blush and Syrus replies that he does.
- In Episode 64, Camaraderie Contest, there is a light scene of Jaden calling out to Syrus while running over to him and Syrus happily runs over to Jaden.
- In Breaking the Sacred Seal, Syrus (still a duel ghoul) ran up to Jaden and hugged him while demanding him to duel him.
- Judai blushes during his first duel with Ryo, and remains extremely impressed with him for the remainder of the season. Dub Text adds Jaden's incredulous reaction to Syrus claiming that he "got the looks". In season 3, Ryo's awe-inspiring final duel with Yubel snaps Judai out of his Heroic BSoD after three other Heroic Sacrifices have failed.
- Let's not forget Saiou/Edo Phoenix, or the newly opened Fubuki/Yusuke Fujihara (from season 4)...
- Sure, Manjoume is a fanboy of both Tenjoin siblings, but the way he idolizes Fubuki with Manjoume calling Fubuki onii-san sees sparkles around Fubuki makes them look like a genderflipped version of a typical onee-sama relationship in yuri mangas.
- Edo and Ryo live together for part of season 3, and they sure seem to have that "master and servant" act well-practiced. The endless sass doesn't do anything to defuse the subtext, either. Edo is also the only character who seems to be on a First-Name Basis with Ryo (Sho uses "onii-san", everyone else calls him Kaiser), and obviously worries about Ryo's deteriorating condition (not that Edo would ever admit he cares).
- Ryo and Fubuki certainly seemed close before Fubuki disappeared... not to mention Fubuki's heartbroken reaction to Ryo being Not Brainwashed (just broken) in Season 2.
- A moderately-sized plot point for the third season is that Yubel believes that Judai (who is male) loves/is infatuated with/spends too much time with Johan (also male). It's unclear if this is lampshading, or just YGO being YGO.
- Here's a line from Yubel, talking to Judai about Johan, in Episode 155, Yubel used the word "suki" for "prefer" which also means love or like in a romantic way. So one could translate that line to "Is that how much you care for him?" Note how Judai didn't react to what Yubel said to him but just continued the duel.
- Hell, even without much to say, Judai and Johan's relationship seems very non-heterosexual. They have absolutely no sense of personal space between them, they are prepared to sacrifice their lives for each other, Johan appears to be staying in Judai's dorm at the beginning of Season 3... the list goes on.
- Special mention goes to an absolutely trope-smashing line from O'Brien in Episode 139: "Jim, was there ...anything between you and Judai?"
- After Abidos the Third is defeated, he decides to return to the afterlife and asks Judai to come with him. He takes Judai's hand while he asks this, making it look like he's proposing. Judai blushes, but politely declines.
- When a newly-released and semi-amnesiac Manjoume sees Asuka is a member of the Society of Light, he assumes Saiou convinced him to join him by using Manjoume's crush on her. Of course, as the Ojamas briefly debate telling him, Saiou actually broke Manjoume by using his feelings for Judai (his desire to match the designated rival he can't stop thinking about or worrying about).
Ho Yay / Yu-Gi-Oh! GX