The Hollow Child is a 2017 horror film about a foster teen named Samantha after her little sister goes missing in the woods and turns up seemingly unharmed in the middle of the night a few days later. However, Sam notices that there's something different about Olivia, but no one will believe her.
The Hollow Child contains examples of:
- Adults Are Useless: Many of the adults fall under this, with the exception of Alison the town 'crazy' lady who is the only one to believe Sam because thirty years ago her sister was taken too.
- Broken Bird: Sam.
- Bury Your Gays: Emily.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Samantha.
- Don't Go Into the Woods: Sam and Emily let Olivia walk home alone through the woods, and then she disappears.
- The Cassandra: Sam tries to get her foster parents and friends to believe her when she says that there's something wrong with Olivia, but they won't listen.
- Creepy Child: The whole plot of the movie revolves around this trope. Olivia is a nice, normal little girl until she returns from the forest after being lost. Then she begins antagonizing people, killing dogs, and ripping the eyes out of her stuffed animals.
- Enthralling Siren: The creatures that lure children into the woods sing to attract them.
- Eye Scream
- Foreshadowing: Olivia's stuffed animals have all had their eyes ripped out. During the later half of the movie, Sam's best friend Emily is brutally murdered by the 'fake' Olivia and her eyes have been torn out.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Subverted, the movie seems to enjoy rubbing the two gory scenes there are in the faces of the viewers. First, Logan is attacked by Olivia in the woods and there is often a close up of his bone sticking out of his leg, and another is Emily's bloody corpse with a close-up of her eye being crushed in Olivia's fingers.
- Humanoid Abomination: The 'Hollow Ones' are creatures or spirits that lure young children into the woods and then 'inhabit' them and return to wreak havoc on their poor families because they hate people.
- Lights Off, Somebody Dies: When Emily gets up and goes to the kitchen, the scene turns back to her room, where all the lights in Emily's house suddenly go off. Sam goes into the kitchen to find that Emily has been brutally murdered by the creature.
- Self-Harm: Sam does this whenever she's distressed.
- Slasher Smile: Olivia.
- Surprisingly Sudden Death: Emily's death is incredibly gory for something that happened so quickly and quietly. She is in the kitchen and becomes startled, then there's a crashing noise and the next thing you know, she's dead and just had her eyeballs ripped out.